Saturday 1 July 2017

A bit tipsy!

Today is the only Saturday I'm not working in July so I wanted to make the most of it! Mike was off to a music festival in London so we dropped him off at the train station and then took Sophie to work. We had a quick coffee with her before returning home to have breakfast. The weather wasn't exactly as I had wished but I did sit out for a little while in the garden with Monty and it became sunnier and warmer in the afternoon.

Keith and I went over to Mum and Dad's house in the early afternoon and I bought some chocolates for Michelle as we are at their house tonight for the Wine Tasting. Before going to collect Sophie from work I had a long soak in the bath and washed my hair as time would be short when we picked her up!

When we arrived at 7pm Sue and Paul were already there and enjoying cocktails - they looked delicious, and they were. Too delicious, I think, as I had another which turned out to be a bad idea! Michelle had put on some lovely hors d'oeuvres and had also made a lovely pasta dish served with salad and garlic bread.

We started with two whites and one of them, the second, was The Ned, the wine we have so much of at work! The first Sauvignon Blanc was very subtle so I didn't guess it at first, but The Ned had much more pronounced typical aromas so I was able to correctly guess which grape variety it was.

Sue then produced three Rose wines and half of us preferred the much cheaper wine that she bought for about £3.50! The third was a rose Sancerre at £18 but I definitely didn't think it was worth the price! By now I was beginning to feel a little bit tipsy so I just had a couple of sips of the red wines we'd taken. They were both Australian Shiraz and I liked them equally although by now I really didn't appreciate the subtle nuances of flavour and aroma! Along with a glass of Limoncello that Richard produced with our cheesecake dessert I was definitely feeling the worse for wear!

As Keith had to go and collect Mike from the station later, we left early, which was a good thing as I was quite ill when I got home. I'm just glad I didn't show myself up in Richard and Michelle's house! Keith went off on his own at about 12.30am while Sophie put me to bed (in her words!). Those damned cocktails! I won't be touching them again!

No comments: