Thursday 20 July 2017

A long day!

We had a really horrible start to the day as it was pouring with rain and I was facing the longest stretch I'd worked yet - 10am until 8pm. Sophie and Keith went to do the shopping and I hated not being able to go with them so I drove to work feeling really miserable...silly I know, but I do like mooching about the supermarket with them and putting funny things in the trolley to wind Keith up!

I got to work first and did most of the opening up, getting thoroughly soaked in the process, so I resembled a drowned rat! We spent the morning putting away boxes of wine as we have another "drop" due tomorrow, of three pallets!

Miraculously, the weather cleared up in the afternoon and I went out in the van to do lots of deliveries and thankfully, they weren't big ones! I drove to Horton first, then went over to Sywell where two lovely ladies helped me with the delivery, which was a bonus! I called home from a layby and spoke to Sophie who was just about to go into uni to have a meeting with the careers adviser. From Sywell I trekked right across to Coton Manor Gardens and did a nice circuit of the car park before discovering where I needed to be! People were there enjoying the gorgeous house and gardens and sitting having tea in the courtyard. I made a note to go there with Sophie and Mum before the summer is over!

From Coton I drove to Nether Heyford but discovered that the road I wanted was closed, so after speaking to a helpful man in one of the road maintenance vans, I re-traced my route back to Flore and followed the diversion signs which involved a very narrow road full of twists and turns and humpback bridges. I delivered to a house in the village and noticed a Sainsbury's van also delivering to a house nearby. When I did my last delivery of the day in a delightful village called Upper Stowe the same Sainsbury's van was delivering to the house I was going to! We had a nice little chat and he asked where we were off to next! I was going back to the store, unfortunately, as I'd really enjoyed being out and about in the sunshine!

Back at the shop I found out that James had had a shoplifter in who had put two bottles of Lebanese wine down his trousers...why he had chosen that particular wine is a mystery, but we think that it was probably because it was the most expensive wine in that particular section, and that he was also hovering about where the Champagne is kept.

I had some lunch and then we put yet more boxes of wine away before we had a little rush of customers. Two ladies came in for a wedding tasting so that meant that the last hour went by very quickly. I drove home listening to the wonderful Georgey Spanswick on the radio which is the only bonus of finishing so late!

Keith was cooking dinner, so after pouring me a drink we ate, but it was only the three of us as Sophie was out at her friend Daisy's house. After eating we caught up with some episodes of neighbours and then it was out at 10.30pm to pick her up and have a good gossip about our day!


No comments: