Thursday 13 July 2017

Gridlock!

This morning I had an interview for an After School Club assistant at our local primary school. I arrived early, as usual, and didn't see the woman I thought I was going to, the bursar whom I've known for years! Instead I was interviewed by one of the teachers (who I did know) and the new Deputy Head. Oh, as well as two children who attend the after-school club and who wanted to ask me questions!

I wasn't expecting that but it all went quite well and I answered everything as well as I could. The job is only part-time for fifteen hours a week but as I've had absolutely no luck with applying for full-time jobs, I'm hoping to get this as it sounds lovely and I miss working with children. I also know the school well as both Sophie and Mike attended.

I was out of the interview at 10am and rushed home to get changed and go to work. Jonathan disappeared to go and do a large wedding delivery while I helped James put away some wine and when Jonathan returned it was my turn to go out.

I had quite a few today! My second drop was in the village of Yelvertoft, somewhere I'd never been to before despite all the mooches that Keith and I used to go on. Whilst I was there I discovered that I had got the job at the school so I was over the moon. At least I have something to return to after the holiday and I could always get something part-time in the morning as well.

I carried on with deliveries, going to my own home patch when I delivered to Spratton and Sywell (I could see my little estate when I drove towards Holcot) and after a drop in town that was hard work (I couldn't park near the door to the pub and had to keep locking the van) I had one more to do before returning to work.

James and Jonathan had been re-arranging the shop in advance of new shelving being installed in August so Chile had moved to where the Champagne section was. I was amazed they had done it so quickly!

I left at 5pm after picking the next day's deliveries and made a bad mistake by deciding to go home via the ring road, rather than through town. There had been a broken down car on the sliproad by Riverside which had caused gridlock of all the surrounding roads. I took a very long and circuitous route home, arriving an hour after I'd left. Not good!

Keith met me with a Vodka and tonic when I'd changed and we all spent an enjoyable hour playing cards before dinner. Phew!

No comments: