Friday 21 July 2017

An evening outing.

Before going to work this morning I had to make a trip to one of our stores in Market Harborough as we needed seven bottles of wine for a wedding delivery and although the bottles were due in on a drop, we thought they would arrive too late.

I took Sophie with me as she was starting work at 10.30am and we both enjoyed the drive through the countryside...it was a bit like old times as I took the scenic route! I picked up the wine, delivered three boxes that they needed and we headed back to Northampton.

When I got to work I discovered that the drop was in already but that the wine we needed was buried under loads of boxes, so it wasn't a wasted trip. James and Jonathan were loading up the van and wanted me to do the morning deliveries. We then decided to have fish and chips for lunch so I was given the task of finding a fish and chip shop on my way back to the shop!

I headed off to the village of Ecton first and then drove to Courteenhall for the wedding delivery. Jonathan had given me really good directions and luckily I followed another car onto the estate. I had to deliver into the marquee and take my shoes off, a request I'd never had before! One of the wedding party helped me with the delivery, which was lovely as it was quite a trek from the van to where I needed to take it!

On the way back to the shop I bought some milk in the nearby village of Roade and asked if there were any fish and chip shops about...it was worth a gamble! However there weren't so I headed to a large housing estate on the outskirts of Northampton where Sophie's friend Laura lives and hoped that this gamble would pay off...luckily it did! I ordered our lunch and headed back to the shop as quickly as I could so that the food would stay hot!

As predicted, we had customers arrive from every corner of Northamptonshire so Jonathan and I rushed around serving them before finally sitting down and eating. I'd put plates over the meals but they were a little cold...never mind!

In the afternoon Jonathan went out in the van and did a very large delivery for another wedding due to take place tomorrow. We had some lovely customers in and lots of good chats about wine, which helped the time pass very quickly.

I left at 5pm, picked Mike up from the Morrison's supermarket in Spinney Hill, then went to work to wait for Sophie who was finishing at 6pm. There were two parties in so the noise level was quite high, something I certainly don't miss!

Back home I jumped in the bath and chatted to Sophie as I was off out in the evening to The Red Lion at Yardley Hastings with Fiona, Andrea and Lynda. I had decided to drive as I was at work the next day and we all met at Lynda's Mum's house in Brafield for a glass of Prosecco (what else?) before we went to the pub for dinner.

We had a lovely evening with good food, but it was a tad expensive. Fiona ordered a Gin and tonic and was given a Warner Edwards Melissa Gin which she really didn't like. We enjoyed bread and olives while we looked at the menu and then I chose crispy salt and pepper squid with mayonnaise to start followed by pork belly served with asparagus and spinach. We found room for dessert, in my case pear, rhubarb and blueberry crumble, which was delicious. With two bottles of Chenin Blanc, a bottle of sparkling water and drinks beforehand the bill came to £167! I was let off some of the bill as I had only had one glass of wine and I offered to take everyone home.

Outside (we were the last to leave by the way) it was pouring with rain so the journey home was not fun! It was a huge relief to finally get home and have a good gossip with Sophie and Keith before bed. Both kids piled in with us for a chat which made a really lovely end to a long and busy day!

No comments: