Tuesday 25 July 2017

A day off!

It was lovely to wake up and realise I had today (and tomorrow) off! Luckily the weather was much improved on yesterday and it was great to see blue skies and sunshine again.

We spent the morning sorting out the paperwork for the holiday and packing. I'm working all day on Thursday, Friday and Saturday so time is limited. Sophie and I have booked some pampering treatments for next Monday and with the housework that I need to do, there really aren't enough hours in the day!

After we'd packed we all showered and took Mike to work. He is serving tables at a cafe in a nearby country park where I expected it to be very busy now that the schools have broken up for the summer. After dropping him off we drove to Jones's and stocked up on toiletries and bird food. I'm hoping my parents will keep our hungry feathered friends fed while we're away!

We also popped to the Weston Favell Centre and did a spot of shopping in Tesco. The place was heaving with parents and their children and already some of the mums were losing patience with their offspring! It's only day two!

I treated Sophie to lunch at McDonald's (another busy place, obviously) and then we drove home to sit and relax in the garden. I have a ton of things I really should have done (hoovering, dusting, gardening) but it's my day off! The weather now was beautiful and about 22c, which is perfect for me.

At about 5.30pm we all trooped off to collect Mike. We were astonished to find the gates of the car park were closed already so we sat and waited outside. And we waited. Keith went to find him and saw that he was still cleaning tables and stacking furniture. I moved the car and Sophie and I spent an enjoyable time watching the comings and goings of people visiting the park. One couple turned up after (presumably) cycling around the reservoir dressed as if they had just taken part in the Tour de France. They then commenced the loading of their bikes into their estate car and I've never seen so much faffing about in my life. Surely it would be easier to buy a bike rack? The front wheels came off both bikes and they had large sheets of cardboard to keep the cycles separated. Then they removed their snazzy shoes and gloves. They must have been at it for about twenty minutes before they finally drove off!

Mike came out at 6pm so in future we will pick him up at that time rather than wait, enjoyable though it was! We drove home and played a couple of games of cards with a drink before a rather late dinner!

No comments: