Friday 30 June 2017

A long day...

I was dreading today, to be honest, as I was due to be at work until 7pm this evening which meant that my Friday wine-night with Sophie had to be delayed. I arrived and was told that now I had completed my driver training I was going to be doing the morning's deliveries...

James, the manager, and Jonathan loaded the van up and after a brief look at some of the places I was going to on Google maps, I was off on my own. Frankly, I was really nervous, mainly because I didn't want to have a bump in the van and also because I was worried I would have difficulty finding the houses (I also delivered to three pubs but they were much easier to find!).

My first delivery was in Stoke Bruerne and I knew the way but I did have a little difficulty finding the house. Luckily, a friendly villager pointed me in the right direction! From the village I drove out towards Towcester and a pub just on the outskirts of the town. I then headed back onto the A5 and to a couple of villages either side of the busy road. I had real trouble in a tiny village called Grimscote as I just couldn't find the house. I even called the store to see if they could help, but again, I had a very friendly man give me directions and the woman of the house came out to help me in with the wine.

From there I drove to the small village of Badby and dropped off some wine at the pub before heading back to Weedon. Unfortunately I had two idiotic van drivers behind me on the road who seemed to be incensed by my driving. I had been told to stick to the speed limit at all times and I was hooted at and overtaken only to find them sitting at a red traffic light in Weedon some minutes later!

It was a relief to get back to the store and let Jonathan take over in the afternoon. James went through some tasks he wanted me to get acquainted with and confessed that I hadn't really had a lot of training over the last seven weeks. I agree!

It was bliss when it was time to go home...it had been a long and, at times, fraught day! I was looking forward to a fish and chip supper and a couple of glasses of wine with my family! As soon as I got home we drove over to Broughton and the fish shop was crammed with people. There were cars everywhere and I wonder how long it will be before the nearby residents get fed up with all the traffic. We waited ages for our meals and while we were in the shop the heavens opened and we had a heavy downpour...no watering for me tomorrow, then!


No comments: