Tuesday 11 July 2017

A busy, but very enjoyable day!

It was lovely to wake up today knowing I wasn't at work! Unfortunately it was raining and the sky was horrible and grey but I had so much to do it didn't matter!

Keith had a blood test first thing so Sophie and I went with him as we were planning on going to Jones's afterwards to buy some much needed items. I have really neglected my poor birds at the moment and our garden is a complete mess so I feel really guilty. The "lawn" is covered in Eucalyptus leaves but it will be the last summer as we are going to cut it down in the Autumn. The tree has grown much too big for our garden and is starting to encroach on next door's property so it's going to have to go, as much as it will break my heart. Perhaps we can buy another one to plant but this time keep it to a much more acceptable height!

We bought lots of things in Jones's, including loads of bird food, and then popped to Boots and Next on Riverside. I needed a hair colour desperately and Sophie wanted some make-up and other beauty products. Keith wandered around with us looking a bit bored but he did go into Sports Direct and treat himself to a new belt!

There was nothing Sophie liked in Next so we had a coffee to take away in Costa (as well as a muffin and a chocolate twist!) and drove to Moulton as Sophie and I had an appointment to get our hair cut at midday. Keith went off to get a newspaper from the Co-op and Sophie and I had our hair washed and our locks chopped. It was a very pleasant half hour being pampered a bit and we walked out feeling much better, although Sophie did say her hair was a bit too short for her liking!

Back home we watched a fantastic travel documentary starring Norman Reedus (of Walking Dead fame, apparently) who rode a motorbike down through the Everglades and to Key West with Peter Fonda. They took the Tamiami Trail as we did, and stopped at a very interesting restaurant on the way called Joanies Blue Crab Cafe which Keith swears he saw on the road. I'm sure he didn't as at the time I was gasping for a coffee and I definitely would have stopped, but he's adamant so we are planning on eating there when we drive down to the Keys next month.

We had a quick lunch of nachos with cheese and salsa before sloshing over to see my parents. Keith stayed at home so it was just me and the children, but it was lovely to catch up for an hour over tea and cakes.

In the evening we went to the Errol Flynn cinema to see Alone in Berlin starring Emma Thompson and Brendan Gleeson. I treated everyone to a drink and a bottle of wine and two beers came to £26! Blimey! It was worth it, though, to sit in the comfortable seats and sip our drinks and much more civilised than a big cup of Coke! The only snag tonight was a man sitting behind us who sniffed the entire time, and I don't mean little discreet sniffs, I mean loud rumbling sniffs. It was horrible!

The film was excellent and very sad and the two main actors were brilliant. I'm a fan of both of them so I knew I would enjoy the film. When we emerged into the rainy dusk we decided to have a quick drink at The Malt Shovel as we'd ordered pizzas from Papa Johns and we were a bit early to pick them up. We parked in Morrison's car park and jumped over the fence before arriving at the pub.

It was quiet and we had a drink and an animated chat before driving to collect our pizzas. It was gone 9pm when we arrived home, so it had been a long, but very enjoyable day off!

No comments: