Saturday 8 July 2017

Reaching a decision

I was in at work at 9am today and was sent out on deliveries first thing. After yesterday I was a bit apprehensive but it all went well, even the first drop which was to an isolated farmhouse beyond the village of Weedon! My last delivery was to The Lamplighter, one of our favourite pubs, so that was a bit strange! The weather has been beautiful again today so it was lovely being out in the van.

When I got back the regional manager was in the store so I spoke to him and James to say that I wouldn't be returning after my holiday. They took the news better than I had anticipated and at least it will give them a chance to take on someone new full-time. I think the job needs a young, enthusiastic person who doesn't mind the long hours and physical work. I really don't fancy finishing at 7 or 8pm most nights as what time would I have with my family?

As our store had come second in a regional selling competition we had a tray of doughnuts to enjoy and the rest of the day passed pleasantly enough with quite a few customers coming in. I also sold a bottle of vintage Krug Champagne to a couple for £210 and we had a very agreeable chat about why the price is so high. On the back of each of their bottles is a number and when you type it into their website it will give you the history of that particular bottle. It was fascinating!

Mike turned up at 4.30pm as he had been in town buying shoes but it was a bit early so he wandered off to the nearby Subway and Keith collected us at 5pm. He had been to a pre-season Sileby match against the Northampton Cobblers and had enjoyed seeing them play again, even though, predictably, they lost!

He suggested we have a quick drink in the Thomas a Becket and I think it will be our one and only visit! The less said the better!

We picked Sophie up at 6pm and went home to relax. I'm back in again at work all day tomorrow as there will only be the two of us and I have a couple of deliveries to make. Hopefully it will all go well!


No comments: