Monday 1 March 2021

New hours...

Day 56

Sadly, the gorgeous weather of the weekend disappeared this morning, to be replaced with fog, grey skies and drizzle. I was hoping the fog would clear to reveal a beautiful Spring day, but it stayed horrible, chilly and damp without even a hint of sunshine. It certainly affected my mood today!

Keith and I went to Tesco this morning and did our shopping for the next few days. My Mum had asked me to get some jogging bottoms for my Dad as the trousers he was wearing kept falling down. I bought two pairs in grey and navy blue, in a size small, so I hope they'll be better for him.

We called into the care home to drop them off, and I will try and avoid going during the week again as it was busy with the nearby construction which held us up. The road going in was covered in mud again so I dread to think what my poor car looked like!

Back home we realised that it was the Food Bank collection tomorrow, and we had forgotten to get anything in Tesco, so I suggested we go to Lidl in Rushden for a change. It's been ages since we went over and I fancied a look around a different supermarket... how sad are we?!

We drove over and we were surprised to see new building developments by the A14 at the A6 junction. It looks like a new industrial estate is being built with huge warehouses going up very quickly! It didn't take us long to get to Rushden even though the traffic was heavy. Lidl was quiet and we bought some essentials for the collection tomorrow as well as a few treats, including a bottle of wine, and some iced tea for Mike, the same brand that he used to drink in the US.

The plan was to go and get Mike straight away but we were a bit too early, so we called home to put the shopping away. We left to get him, and we had barely reached the village before he called to say he was working a bit later today. This gave us the opportunity to have lunch (me) and prepare the vegetables for dinner (Keith). I enjoyed some oatcakes and celery with hummus. Delicious!

It was gone 2.30pm by the time Mike emerged from work, all muddy and dirty as usual. My poor car! We went home and I sat and watched television with a Lidl almond ice-cream, which looked amazingly like a Magnum. Perfect! Not something I normally do before about 5pm but today I didn't care! I did manage to hoover downstairs and tidy up before Sophie arrived home from work, though! It's looking very much like she will be working permanently in the office now, which is a shame as I miss her being at home and sitting in the conservatory.

I sent her some photos of Monty today. He has taken to sleeping in a wicker basket we have put next to the radiator in the living room, and loves it in there!




In the evening Mike said that his boss had texted him saying they were starting new hours tomorrow - 7am until 3.30pm. Next week, when the schools return, it will be a nightmare going to pick him up as there are two in the area and the streets are full of parked cars. Ho hum!

No comments: