Tuesday 30 March 2021

Recycling matters!

Day 85

I had agreed to help Ruth this morning with the recycling sort, the first we've been able to do all together since last year. As per the current restrictions, we were only able to have six of us attend, and we had eight bags to get through!

When I arrived at 11am, a couple of people were already there so I dived in and started on a big bag. Ruth had already set out boxes for the different recycling we collect, and most of it was crisps, closely followed by biscuit and cake wrappers! 

It was warm in the sunshine and I wished that Ruth had set up a table as it was quite hard on the back due to the bags being on the ground. At the bottom, we always find "crud" - lots of little bits of paper or plastic and this is the worst!

It took us all two hours to get through the bags, and I had pet food pouches and Tassimo pods to take home, but I asked Ruth if I could pick them up later as there were several bags' worth!



I was very glad to get home, have a cup of tea and sit down for half an hour! 

Unfortunately, at the moment, we have some seriously nasty smells surrounding us. I thought it was muck-spreading on the fields, but when we returned from getting Mike, we saw two "Recycling" tankers parked up at the back of the estate. I later found out that they were spreading food waste on the fields behind us... well, it smelt to me like the stuff had come out of a cow's bottom! It was horrible, and so badly timed with the beautiful weather we've been having! It means if we open our windows or doors, the noxious fumes drift in. Not nice!

I made a red pepper and tomato soup in the afternoon, so Sophie could enjoy it for her lunch tomorrow. I roasted three red peppers, an onion and some garlic in the oven, and sauteed a couple of sticks of celery in a pan with butter. When the veggies were roasted I made up vegetable stock, added tomato puree, chilli flakes and a couple of spoonfuls of sun-dried toms and added everything to the celery. After letting it simmer for a while and then cool down, all I had to do was blend it and hey presto! Lunch for Sophie!

Keith cooked tonight and made a delicious cottage pie with loads of vegetables. If nothing else, we're eating healthily at the moment!

No comments: