Sunday 21 March 2021

A glimpse into the past...

Day 76

Last night, I'd relented about Monty staying in, and I'd put down some newspaper in place of the new doormat. Luckily, this morning everywhere was dry so he'd redeemed himself!

The forecast today had been for grey clouds, so I was delighted to see the sun shining when I got up! What a difference it makes to my mood! We spent a quiet morning mooching about and at lunchtime, Sophie and I enjoyed the leftover chilli from Friday and cooked it with some nachos and melted cheese. Delicious! Before we'd eaten I'd hung some washing on the line, and of course, within half an hour it had clouded over! What is it with me and the washing?!

After lunch, it was time for our face pack - a honey one this week - which really did smell strongly of the sweet stuff! I've never been a fan of spreading it on toast, but it was lovely applied to my face! We relaxed for a while and watched an episode of A Place in the Sun, and then I made a lemon drizzle cake. We had a few lemons in the fruit bowl that were looking a bit sorry for themselves, so I turned them into a deliciously moist cake!

Keith had been wittering on for weeks about his hair, and how I hadn't cut enough off the top the last time I did it, so I made him sit on a chair in the kitchen, and I applied the clippers all over. This time I cut a lot off and his hair was all over the kitchen floor! When Sophie came downstairs and saw him, she screamed! Now let him complain!

Sophie disappeared into the conservatory to chat with Laura and Daisy, and after enjoying a cup of tea with the lemon cake, I stumbled upon a video on YouTube of San Francisco from 1906, just four days before the terrible earthquake struck. It had been taken from a tram travelling down Market Street to the Ferry Terminal building, and it was absolutely fascinating. What amazed me was the chaotic state of the street, with horse-drawn carriages and carts jostling for space with ancient motorcars, pedestrians, horse-riders and, of course, trams. There were no crossings and people just wandered about all over the road, narrowly missing all the vehicles that were streaming in both directions! Young boys ran after motorists and jumped onto the back of the cars, and there was a constant clanging coming from the trams. It truly was a fantastic glimpse into the past, made all the more poignant in that four days later the earthquake hit the city. Sophie and I have travelled on a tram going the other way, and it was fun to go onto Google Streetview and compare how it was over a hundred years later. Needless to say, hardly any of the buildings from 1906 remained.

Keith cooked a delicious roast chicken for dinner this evening, and after we'd eaten we caught up with an episode of Death in Paradise, which is easily becoming one of our favourite programmes to watch these days!




No comments: