Saturday 20 March 2021

A disappointing lunch...

Day 75

It's been exactly a year since Boris closed all shops, restaurants, cafes, gyms, cinemas, theatres, etc, etc... A whole year! Where has it gone? What would we have said if we'd known that a year later we'd be in another lockdown? We'd have reacted with horror, I'm sure!

After a fairly lazy morning, Sophie and I went to Jones's as unfortunately, I needed a new doormat. Monty had weed on it last night and it was sopping wet this morning so it went into the bin. I was furious with him and threatened Sophie that from now on, he would go out all night. I am not having my house smelling of cat pee!

Jones's was busy, and after getting a few bits, we were met with incredible rudeness by the cashier on the till. We explained we wanted two invoices and she asked us, in a sarcastic tone, which items were which, and then she had a go at Sophie - who was trying to help by handing her items to her - to keep her distance! I think she needed a course in customer service and kindness!

From Jones's, we drove to Rushden Lakes to enjoy lunch from Five Guys. Sophie had always wanted to try their burgers and see how they compared with her favourite, Shake Shack. The restaurant was quiet and after giving our order (I was bamboozled by the choice of toppings!) we waited about ten minutes for the food to be prepared.

The sun had come out but we decided to eat our lunch in the car. I took a bite out of Sophie's burger by mistake (normally punishable by death), and to be honest, her choice of bacon and cheeseburger tasted better than mine! The burger was fine but I said I much preferred the Shake Shack offerings, and we also have better ones at home from the local supermarket! I'd asked for relish and grilled onions, but they seemed to be very sparse! The chips were still in their skins, but for me were exceedingly salty, so much so that I gave the rest of my portion to Sophie who smacked her crusted lips with glee! I was glad I'd ordered a bottle of water with my meal!

We debated about whether to go to M&S but in the end, we drove home. After an hour digesting our lunch we walked to the village and back. It was still a lovely afternoon but on the chilly side. 

At 5pm Sophie made me a Negroni and we played Scrabble, where Sophie roundly beat me! She is getting good! We played another and I narrowly beat her so it's becoming much more tense! Keith prepared a very light supper of cold meats, salad and new potatoes which suited us perfectly and we certainly didn't want anything too heavy!

Our choice of entertainment this evening was Quantum of Solace, and I had to keep referring to the plot on Wikipedia to understand what was going on! When we watched it the first time I wasn't impressed, and I wasn't this time either!







No comments: