Sunday 28 February 2021

Feeling better

Day 55

I woke up feeling a lot better and with my tummy ache gone, probably because I hadn't eaten anything last night! I did find a box of IBS tablets in the back of the bathroom cabinet, and I'd taken two before I went to bed, so they may have helped as well. I think I'm going to have to cut down on wheat (I do eat a lot of bread and wheat products!) to see if that helps!

It was great to feel better and Sophie said I didn't have a "dark cloud" over me anymore! I made a baked nutty porridge for breakfast which was delicious and probably much better for me than cheese on toast! The weather today has been gorgeous again and temperatures have risen to about 14-15c. Not quite warm enough to sit in the garden, but perfect in the conservatory!

Sophie and I enjoyed our usual Sunday face-pack - today it was tomato and I could feel it tightening up my skin! In the afternoon I suggested to Sophie we go to Boots to get some more IBS tablets, and on the way, we decided to pop to the Daily Bread to see if they had a gluten-free loaf that I could have with dinner rather than the normal garlic bread we eat.

Disappointingly, Daily Bread was closed - perhaps it's just Sunday? - so we headed to a very busy Riverside where I bought some more Senocalm tablets. Afterwards, we went to Costa and I bought a bar of chocolate nuts to have as a makeshift lunch with a coffee. It's unbelievable how much food has wheat in it, so I hope that I haven't developed an intolerance to wheat? Perhaps I just eat too much of it!

Before going home we called in at Smith's Farm Shop and I bought some gluten-free crackers to have for lunch tomorrow, as well as some other goodies, including hot cross buns for Keith who doesn't have a problem with wheat!

Back home Sophie and I discussed dinner, which was the lasagne we should have had last night. I had prepared all the vegetables this morning (pepper, carrot, celery and onion) so we just had to do the actual cooking. Sophie cooked the veggies while I seared the mince in a hot frying pan. We then mixed everything together in our casserole dish, added a good glug of red wine and two cans of tomatoes and left it to simmer for an hour. This gave us the ideal chance to have another cocktail each (a Negroni and a Moscow Mule), play Scrabble, and munch on some delicious lentil crisps with salsa. Well, we hadn't had much lunch!

After the meat sauce had simmered for an hour, we assembled the lasagne with the pasta sheets, mozzarella and ricotta. We used the Hairy Bikers' recipe which didn't call for a Bechamel sauce. We popped the dish in the oven for fifty minutes and Sophie made garlic bread, which I was not going to eat!

The meal went down very well and there was enough leftover for Sophie's and Mike's lunch tomorrow. I took two Senocalm tablets as a precaution (I tried not to eat much pasta) and Keith and I watched Tomorrow Never Dies. We don't have many Bond films to go now and will definitely have watched them all by the time the new one is released!

No comments: