Wednesday 24 March 2021

Jumping through hoops...

Day 79

I spent most of this morning setting up the new mobile phone we'd bought for my Mum. The one she has now has given her some problems, namely to do with charging, so I'd ordered another and it arrived first thing this morning. I'd researched phones suitable for older people, and hopefully, this one will be easier to use. I was able to put all of her contacts onto the phone so she can call her friends easily. Let's hope this phone is more successful!

Apart from a bit of a sore arm, I haven't suffered any after-effects of the Covid jab I had yesterday, which was a huge relief! I really didn't fancy spending two days in bed as some people had done! At just after 3pm I set off in Dad's car for the care home. To get to see my parents without a screen between us I had to have a lateral flow test and wear their PPE. I was dreading the test as I cannot abide anything being stuck down my throat!

The woman who met me at the door was not that friendly, and when I knocked over a sign on the desk with my bag, she didn't seem that happy... oops! She gave me the test, said I could go and complete it in the loo and left me to it. Somehow the liquid in the tiny tube had disappeared so I had to ask for some more. That didn't go down well, either! I managed to get the swab into my nose, but as soon as I put it down my throat, I gagged. When I was pregnant with both children I developed a problem with cleaning my teeth (I couldn't bear the feel of the toothbrush in my mouth) and this gag reflex has been something I've had since then. Yes, I am a little weird!

I had to wait twenty minutes for the test result, and I had to complete a form. Once the test was back - it was negative obviously - I then had to complete yet another form online using my phone! It's a good job I was able to do that!

The last hoop I had to jump through was donning a whole load of PPE - gloves, a disposable mask and a flimsy plastic apron. I dread to think what I looked like! And all for just half an hour with my parents! And I will have to do this every time I go if I want to see them in person!

However, it was lovely to see my parents properly after so long, and I had a hug with both of them. We had a chat and it was obvious that my Mum is not happy being in the care home, mainly because she is bored. My Dad was OK, but not really that with it, and he still looked painfully thin. The half-hour we had whizzed by, and we had another hug when we left. I really hope that things can be a bit more relaxed soon and that I can take both of them out in the car. Back home I told Keith what had happened at the care home and I think he was glad that he wasn't able to go as well! 

Before we cooked dinner we played cards in the conservatory, something we haven't done for ages! Keith had ordered a "movie pack" from The Drop Store, which consisted of a bottle of rhubarb vodka, popcorn, tonic water, chocolates and two beautiful J&J Whitley balloon glasses - all for £24, which we thought was a bargain! Sophie and I had the vodka with tonic and it was lovely.

Our dinner tonight was a bit of a disaster... I had suggested lamb steaks with couscous and roasted vegetables, but the lamb steaks, which had cost almost £9, shrivelled up to tiny portions when we cooked them. The couscous went cold, and there was hardly enough for the four of us, so I supplemented the meal with brioche buns so we could have lamb burgers, as Mike was looking at the spread with horror! A meal we certainly won't be repeating again in a hurry!







No comments: