Tuesday 9 March 2021

Pottering in the garden!

Day 64

Today has been the calm before the storm, a real spring-like day with sunshine and blue skies. It's amazing how much more energetic I feel when the weather is lovely!

Keith made me a delicious breakfast this morning, using up some egg whites left over from the clafoutis on Monday evening, and adding another to serve me eggs on toast. Yummy, and not something I have every day! We watched the news which was full of the interview last night between Oprah Winfrey, Meghan Markle and Prince Harry. Piers Morgan, on Good Morning Britain, was almost apoplectic when interviewing several people, and stormed off the set in a huff at one point! The constant shouting made me turn over to the much more calm and dignified BBC news!

We needed to go out this morning to get something we'd forgotten for dinner tonight, so we drove to the Co-op in Moulton and Keith was able to buy the ingredients there. On the way home I put my filthy car through the carwash. I know it's going to rain tomorrow (and for several days afterwards), but with the weather being so good I planned to hoover it out when I got home, and at least have it clean for one day! Mike goes back to work tomorrow, and I have asked him to leave his extremely muddy boots in the shed at work, and wear his trainers home. He reluctantly agreed so that's a result!

We saw two odd things on our trip out: the first was when a wheelbarrow flew off a builder's truck as it went around a roundabout, narrowly missing the cars in front of us! The man driving the truck realised what had happened, but kept on driving! I dread to think what could have happened if a child was walking past or if the wheelbarrow had hit a car and smashed the window! The second was one of those little robot delivery carts waiting to cross the road at some traffic lights! I thought it was hilarious watching it start to go, and then stop, and it kept backing up as if it was scared of crossing! I have seen these little things around the Hunsbury residential estate trundling along the paths, but this one was the first I had seen in town, and waiting at traffic lights!

Back home I hoovered out my car and washed all the mud off the back seats. Keith came out to keep me company, and we tried in vain to sort out my rear windscreen washer which was refusing to work properly. I hate not being able to clean the rear windscreen, and we'd soaked the little jet nozzle in vinegar overnight (as per a YouTube video) but it still wasn't working. In desperation, we ordered a replacement part on Amazon, of all places! I was able to get same-day delivery!

It was lovely to be outside in the fresh air and I was determined to make the most of it while I could! After I'd sorted the car out, I potted up two trays of violas that I'd bought at Tesco yesterday, putting some of them in a pot by the front door. I managed to fill some more pots, and then we cut back the Jasmine that borders our garden path. It has grown outwards so much we have to continually brush past it, so that was a job that I'd been planning to do for a long time completed!

We didn't spend that long in the garden but it was great to start tidying up and getting ready for when the weather is really lovely. Hopefully, it won't be long!

After the gardening, I prepared the vegetables for dinner - Sophie was making us chicken enchiladas - and then had a soak in the bath as my fingernails were a bit dirty from planting my little violas. Sophie came home tired from work, as they are moving offices next week, and she had been packing up boxes and files. She is hoping that she will be working from home next week - something I hope too!

Even though she was tired she cooked dinner, and Keith and I helped her in between compiling our shopping list because we've decided to go tomorrow. We ordered a new headboard for our bed a few weeks ago and it's due to be delivered on Thursday, so we're heading out to the shops tomorrow instead, probably in high winds and driving rain!




No comments: