Friday 12 March 2021

A somewhat trying shopping trip...

 Day 67

We've enjoyed a day of sunshine and showers - is it March or April?!

Keith and I went to the tip this morning, just after it opened, and took the old headboard and some other rubbish that we no longer needed. There was a short queue to get in but soon we had disposed of our things, the only disappointment being that the headboard went into general waste rather than the wood recycling skip, which I had hoped for.

From Brixworth we drove to Asda in Kingsthorpe to buy the ingredients for a tiramisu that Sophie is making for Mother's Day. We managed to buy most of what we needed in Asda but they didn't have any Marsala. We'd parked in the Waitrose car park so we decided to try there... until we saw the long queue of people waiting to go in... 

Abandoning that idea, we drove the short distance to Aldi, not to get the Marsala as I didn't think for one moment they would have it, but to get some more beer. Keith strode off ahead of me but I couldn't find my mask... I searched high and low, in my handbag, the shopping bag we'd used in Asda and the back of my car but it had gone, and I didn't have a spare.

Keith had disappeared inside Aldi so I had to try and get his attention to say I couldn't come in. I still had our shopping bag, and when he emerged a short time later he said he'd set off the door alarms as he still had one of their baskets! He had also lost a bottle of beer somewhere along the way!

He was very annoyed, and so was I that I'd lost my mask, the one that Sheila had made for me out of an old pillowcase and which wasn't replaceable. We decided to drive back to the car park, where Keith walked up and down the spaces looking for it. He couldn't see it but as we were driving away we saw something white in the road and we realised it was my mask, but severely flattened and filthy dirty - think Mrs Doubtfire's mask in the film when it falls out of a window and gets squashed by a truck!

The temptation to give up and go home was very strong, but I still needed a gift bag for my Mum's presents, so after a fruitless excursion into an M&S outlet at a fuel station, we drove to Waitrose at Wootton. I had to wind my scarf around my face to go in, but at least we were able to buy a bottle of Marsala in there! Hooray!

Keith went back to the car while I went into Dobbies (formerly Wyevale), and bought a gift bag. Inside, the garden centre had changed a lot - the Costa Coffee outlet had gone and there was a branch of Sainsbury's there selling food!

We returned home where I enjoyed the leftovers from last night's dinner for my lunch and managed to get some washing out on the line to dry. It's been lovely to see the sun shining today and the breeze was perfect for drying clothes outside for a change.

When Sophie arrived home this evening she was extremely tired so we had rather a muted Friday night. At least dinner was easy - baked potatoes!



No comments: