Thursday 5 January 2023

Difficult conversations.

Sophie was very upset about Monty last night, and we all miss him. If I see something brownish on a chair or on the floor, I think it's him. To try and cheer her up I suggested a discussion this evening about her birthday in April. She's had three disappointing years so it would be lovely to celebrate properly this April and I brought up a possible visit to San Sebastian, in Spain. We'd seen the town featured on Fred Siriex's foodie programme, and it looked beautiful.

I was at work today and doing admin but I nearly had to man the phones, as we had a staff member down and another who had to dip out for a few hours to attend a funeral. Luckily, Kathy came in to help out, so that was a bonus. It meant I could get lots done and tackle some very moany emails!

I found out yesterday that it was Maureen's last day at the soft play centre we used to run so I left work five minutes early to go and say goodbye, as she was having a little leaving do. On the way, my phone rang and it was the council about Mum and Dad's money, and the fact that very soon they would be below the threshold and reliant on the local council to fund their care. It was not a pleasant conversation and left me feeling very upset, especially when the woman queried where the money had gone. She'd been in touch with them last year when their bank account was relatively healthy but at £9000 a month in fees, where did she think it had gone? I was furious.

I said goodbye to Maureen and watched as she opened her presents from everyone, but I left as soon as I could as I was feeling a little emotional. Looking around at the business we used to own, and knowing now what the future held, was very sad.

I went home and called my Mum to say I'd be late picking her up, but she was feeling unwell, so we postponed our trip out. I did go over to see them, though, to drop off some items they needed and we had a chat about the conversation with the council woman. They were worried, too so it made for a miserable afternoon.

When Sophie returned from work we talked about future travel plans in an effort to cheer her up a bit. We decided to put San Sebastian on hold for later in the year, maybe, and drive there through France, stopping on the way. For her birthday she fancied a short break in San Malo, which sounded good!

No comments: