Wednesday 11 January 2023

A somewhat trying Wednesday!

Today will definitely not go down as one of this year's best! It has been somewhat trying, and that's an understatement!

I had a long list of things I wanted to either achieve or get started today, and I failed at most of them. I emailed the company that has all of Mum and Dad's things in storage to see if they had a service whereby they sold the items, or knew of a company that did. We need to reduce their monthly outgoings now and the cost of storage needs to be cut out. They weren't very helpful at all, so that was a great beginning!

Next, I tried to get a settlement figure for Dad's car and the activation code to get this went straight to Mum's mobile. She called me but the code she gave me was incorrect, so we tried again. It didn't work the second time, either, so that was enormously frustrating!

I emailed John, Keith's drinking buddy, who has connections with Home Start, a charity that helps families, and he suggested another venture in Kettering that will collect and distribute unwanted furniture to people in need, so I'm hoping they will be able to help.

We needed to go and collect Sophie's quilt from the launderette, and I'd suggested we meet up for lunch, so we left and drove into town, getting held up all the way by roadworks and a learner driver, so another frustrating journey!

When Sophie came out of her offices, she had a face like thunder, and when we walked over to the café we saw a huge, long queue of people waiting at the counter... We decided to drive to a Subway nearby, but Sophie was in such a bad mood (because of work) that we gave up and took her back. Keith and I went to Riverside and had lunch in Costa before popping to Boots.

We're on the lookout for a dehumidifier for the kitchen, as whenever we cook with saucepans on the hob, we get steamed up. The condensation is literally running down the walls. We popped to B&Q first and after a long trawl around the store, finally asked a member of staff who said they were sold out. Yes, about right for today! 

We went over to Curry's on the other side of the retail park and they didn't have any either, so we admitted defeat and went home! This morning, when I was grappling with paperwork, it was sunny and bright, but the weather worsened this afternoon, and it was rainy and grey. It perfectly matched my mood!

All day I'd been waiting for a call from the council, and they finally phoned at 4.30pm. The man I spoke to emailed me two forms I need to fill in, but luckily, I have three weeks to return them. 

Dinner this evening was a delicious chicken and bacon pasta bake that Sophie made. She was in a much better mood and we watched A New Life in the Sun after we'd eaten. I envied the participants even more!

No comments: