Saturday 26 March 2022

"Never going to get to France"...

I woke this morning feeling better strangely enough, but definitely with a cold and an odd taste in my mouth... I took a test and for the first time since this whole pandemic began, I tested positive. I wasn't really surprised, to be honest, but I just hoped that Keith wouldn't get it. Having said that, this new strain is highly virulent, so it's likely. I think I picked it up at work, but who knows? It seems all of us who escaped it over the past couple of years have contracted it this month, including our friends, Richard and Michelle, and lots of people at work.

This meant that this morning we had some tough decisions to make. This time next week we were due to sail to France with P&O, which we weren't very happy about considering the company's behaviour in the last few weeks, but we would need to fill in a French declaration form that stated we hadn't had any contact with infected people in the last 14 days. Well, that would obviously be a lie!

We had until 3pm today to cancel the Airbnb booking and get a 50% refund, which is what we did. We're also going to try and get a refund from P&O on the grounds that we weren't happy with their service, and worries about the safety of the ships, as one had just been impounded in Northern Ireland as it wasn't fit to sail.

Sophie was understandably very upset as she had been looking forward to the trip and visiting Wimereux again. There was no point in postponing it again and re-booking, so that was that. I promised I would do everything I could to make her birthday special, as the last two years she hadn't been able to celebrate at all.

I think that we weren't meant to go to France - this was the third booking we'd had to make because of the pandemic, and then the trouble with P&O came along. Me getting covid was the final straw!

Sophie went to London today to see Zain, and she was looking forward to a boat trip she had booked for this evening. It was the illuminated bridges trip she'd seen advertised at Waddesdon and I really hoped she'd go and have a lovely time, bless her. 

Keith went to the football this afternoon (he tested negative) so I had the house to myself, which was bliss. I felt a lot better than I did yesterday, thank goodness, and just felt stuffed up with a tickly cough. The weather was gorgeous with warm temperatures and sunshine and we had all the windows open in the house!

In the evening Keith and I had prawn cocktail for dinner and then I made myself a hot toddy before bed. Hot whisky and honey certainly does the trick!

No comments: