Thursday 17 March 2022

Disturbing news...

Sara wanted me to spend all day on the spreadsheet job, so after doing a couple of essential tasks, I knuckled down! However, we had a bit of a hiccup mid-morning when we managed to delete the spreadsheet I was working on... Oh, blimey! Luckily, our IT men managed to get it back again, but minus any of the work I'd already done, so that put me back a good hour! I said to Sara I'd work until 4pm to put things right, and by the time I'd finished, I was two-thirds of the way completed.

I called Keith to say I'd be later home than expected and he mentioned that there was some kind of news about P&O Ferries... Sophie also texted me to say that all the P&O sailings over the next few days had been cancelled so obviously something very worrying was going on. We're using them in just over two weeks!

On the way home I listened to the news and discovered that they had made 800 workers redundant without any notice, and over a Zoom call! How terrible... We checked the website and they were asking customers to still turn up on the Dover-Calais route as it looked like they were using DFDS.

I feel like we're jinxed with this France trip. This is a break we postponed originally from April 2020 because of the pandemic and re-booked again from April 2021because we were still in lockdown. We had to use P&O because we'd originally booked with them and had a voucher to use. I just hope that things get resolved before we go, but I felt terribly sorry for their loyal employees.

Over dinner, we discussed what we could do but all of us wanted to go to France and tomorrow the balance of our payment to Airbnb is being taken. Great timing!



No comments: