Sunday 14 June 2020

Not the best of meetings!

Day 83

Sophie and I went around to Mum's this morning to have a chat with one of her neighbours who had agreed to be the Certificate Provider for their Lasting Power of Attorney. However, almost as soon as she came into the house she said she wasn't prepared to act for Dad as he had "dementia". She hasn't spoken to my Dad for months (obviously) and was only going on what my Mum had told her, so I was very annoyed. Whenever I have spoken to him he has sounded perfectly OK. She then tried to interfere with everything we had done over the last few months, even querying why we had used the estate agent we had chosen! Er, because Mum and Dad had put the house on the market with them back in January and they had all the details!

Sophie started saying something, as she feels very passionate about the whole situation, and the neighbour told Sophie to "calm down!" - not really a good idea! How we didn't walk out, I will never know! We stayed for another ten minutes and Binty was getting very annoyed as well. This neighbour has no idea of what we've been trying to arrange over the last three months, hasn't a clue about the complexities of arranging care and the fees involved and although she knows my parents quite well, she doesn't know anything about their personal lives.

Sophie and I left and I felt very angry that we had wasted time. Mum knew I was upset but I just wanted to get out of the house. Sophie and I went to Tesco where I bought Father's Day gifts for my Dad and Sophie sorted presents out for Keith. We then drove over to Beckworth where my daughter bought birthday presents for her manager and some foods for lunch today. We would loved to have been able to have lunch there - sitting in their lovely garden area, sipping a glass of wine and eating something delicious. Hopefully it won't be long!

On the way home my Mum called to ask if we could pop over again as she wanted to talk to us about tomorrow's arrangements and I said we would go over after we'd eaten. Driving over, the sky looked very ominous and I suspected we would have a big storm!

We stayed at Mum's for an hour and I just think she wanted to chat with us because she's worried about leaving the house tomorrow, which is understandable. It must be a huge wrench for her and I know that tomorrow will be very emotional.

Back home, Sophie prepped everything for dinner this evening - a black pepper chicken dish served with sticky rice. The expected storm never arrived but we did have some beautiful skies again this evening!

Dinner was lovely and quite simple to make and the whole lot disappeared - always a good sign!


No comments: