Tuesday 23 June 2020

Shocked and disappointed...

Day 92

I had to go to Tesco this morning to get some bits for Mum and Dad and we popped over to their house beforehand to check everything was OK. Tesco was almost back to normal today - no queues, no hassle and only the wait for a checkout the sign that things were slightly different.

Boris is expected to make a big announcement today about reducing the 2m rule and also to confirm whether pubs, restaurants, bars and cafes can open on the 4 July. I was also hoping for concrete confirmation that gyms and leisure centres can re-open with all the safety measures in place.

We dropped the stuff off for Mum and Dad at the care home and waved to my Mum through the window. She didn't seem to be very happy at all and I think the two week self-isolation is causing her problems. My Dad doesn't seem to be well and the strain of being with him 24 hours a day is starting to show.

When we arrived back home I caught up with some jobs that needed doing, including printing off forms that need to be filled in regarding the investment of the money from the sale of the house. I was pleased to receive a phone call from the estate agent about a viewing on Saturday.

After lunch I heard a knock on the door and it was Sue who had come to take Bailey and Archie out for a walk. Unfortunately, there was nobody at her old house so I invited her in for a cup of tea and a chat. It was just like old times! Both her and Michelle are coming over to our house on the 9 July for a good catch-up and a few glasses of vino so we're looking forward to that.

While we were chatting Sophie read that Boris had made his announcement. As we all expected, pubs, bars, restaurants, cafes, hairdressers and hotels, etc can re-open on the 4 July providing they put certain safety measures in place. Shockingly, gyms and leisure centres will still remain closed. I was gutted, to be honest as we had all been sent letters saying we were going back to work on the 4 July and I was really looking forward to getting back to some kind of normality. It has now been 13 weeks since I was at work and very soon I will forget everything I had to do!

To be honest I think the message was a little confusing as when I messaged my colleagues on Whats App, someone said that leisure centres were allowed to open? However, that looked to be leisure centres for holidays, rather than sports centres.

One of my colleagues called me on the phone and we had a good chat about it - we all now have to wait for an announcement from our management team and we were all very disappointed by the news.

Keith and I went to pick up Mike and he was very hot and sweaty. The car temperature was registering 27c so it has become significantly hotter as the day wore on. I sat and watched the last ever Coronavirus update at 4.30pm and I won't be sorry to see that disappear from our television screens! A lot of people were very pleased about the news today and it does mean we can visit the pub but I think things will be very different to what we're used to. There will be no standing at the bar, for instance! And maybe we will have to book a table if we want to go, which takes out the spontaneity of the whole visit!

As planned Keith barbecued tonight and we sat out in the garden while Keith cooked. It was lovely!

No comments: