Thursday 25 June 2020

Hell...on the beach!

Day 94

High temperatures were forecast again today so we had another period of lying low. I mooched about feeling a bit miserable as the heel on my left foot is really causing me some pain and I hate being too hot! Poor Sophie was suffering in the conservatory as well, but really, we don't have that much to moan about. Imagine being cooped up in a tiny flat in a city? No, thank you! Or being ill with the dreaded coronavirus...

I did manage, finally (and fingers crossed) to upload my blog of 2012 to a book publishing site which charged reasonable prices. I ordered a copy and paid for it so now we'll have to wait and see. If it's OK (and it's only for my own enjoyment) I'll carry on with the other years.

I really don't like giving in to doing things such as watching television or reading during the day but I did see one episode of Bettany Hughes' Greek Odyssey which was brilliant. Just seeing the gorgeous Greek Islands put me in a better mood and her passion and enthusiasm made for a very interesting programme.

I think I'm annoyed mostly because of not being able to go back to work as planned. My manager, Sara, called me today to confirm that our start date of the 4 July was now cancelled but it's looking likely that gyms may re-open in the middle of the month instead. Let's keep hoping!

We watched the news with shock this evening, as pictures of the crowded beaches in the south of the country were shown. I know we escaped to the coast a few weeks ago, but the two places we visited were quiet and we would have left if they'd been too busy. A major incident was declared in Bournemouth today as thousands of people flocked to the resort to make the best of the hot and sunny weather, Personally, it would be my idea of hell to be crammed onto a hot beach with loads of strangers, but there you go. Each to their own. I just hope that this doesn't cause another spike in infections.

We sat out in the garden again this evening and after dinner Keith watched the football downstairs while Sophie and I lounged on the bed, the fan full on, and watched Remarkable Places to Eat with Fred Sirieix and an annoying and very bouncy woman who I'd never heard of before. Pure escapism once again!

No comments: