Tuesday 16 June 2020

Storm clouds gather...

Day 85

I had a bad night's sleep worrying about all sorts of things, but mostly about my parents and whether they would settle in their new home and whether the house would sell.

I woke up at the same time as Keith and went downstairs when he took Mike to work. Outside it was misty and muggy but luckily the low cloud cleared and we saw some warm sunshine.

Sophie was off again today and we popped over to Mum's house to check their post and answerphone messages, and to make sure everything was OK. We then drove to Tesco to buy a new phone for them as theirs had definitely stopped working. I think my Dad spilling tea on it the other day didn't help! The man in the mobile shop was very helpful and we bought a very simple phone for about £15 which came with £10 of credit. They have had Android phones in the past and never really been able to get the most out of them so a simple mobile is all they need.

We also bought them a stack of magazines and books to keep them occupied for the next two weeks. One of the magazines was for knitters and had balls of wool and needles, which I'm hoping my Mum will appreciate.

We still had a yearning for coffee so we went to the much quieter Costa Coffee and treated ourselves to a lovely drink. I wanted to go to B&M for bird food so we drank our coffees in the car - not a good idea on a very warm day! The queue for B&M was long so I gave up on the idea and we went home where we charged the mobile and added lots of contacts for my parents so they can ring friends and family easily.

On the way to get Mike we took the phone and magazines to the Care Home but I couldn't go in and had to leave everything with the Admissions manager. Another couple were talking to a relative through a window and I will be so glad when this is all over and I can go in whenever I want.

We were incredibly early for Mike again and of course, he was late! We sat and watched the golfers approaching the 18th hole and a couple of them kept missing! It certainly wasn't like watching professional golf on the television!

Back home I put the hoover around and then played cards with Keith in the conservatory. Mum called and was over the moon with all the things we had bought for them and seemed very happy, so that was reassuring. Overhead the storm clouds were building and my husband had decided to barbecue tonight rather than tomorrow... the reason why? Football makes a return tomorrow evening!

It proved to be a bit of a mistake as almost as soon as he started cooking the heavens opened and we had torrential rain and thunder. And I mean torrential rain! It was like stair-rods and he was soaked! Sophie and I were in the kitchen cooking the potatoes, onions, stuffed mushrooms and sweetcorn so we were OK, but poor Keith was dashing in and out wearing an anorak... oh dear!

The thunder rumbled on all evening and over dinner we were treated to several flashes of lightning. I do love a good storm!

No comments: