Friday 12 June 2020

A few little shocks...

Day 81

We had a viewing this morning at 10.30am so I went over to Mum's to make sure the house looked OK. Unfortunately, Binty and Mum had broken a mirror so I took it outside to the garage and managed to bang my head on the door, which came back down unexpectedly... not a good start to the day! We also received a letter from the County Council saying we owed money for Dad's respite care back in April, so that was an unpleasant shock. I wish someone had told us we would have to pay before he went into the care home so we would have been forewarned, but at the time Mum was in hospital and I had no other choice.

As we had to be out of the house for the viewing, I drove Mum and Binty over to the Weston Favell Centre. Luckily, we didn't have to queue to get in, but it was a real pain in Tesco as there were signs everywhere about the 2m rule and arrows all over the floor. I really think now that the British public know we have to keep 2m distance from other people but there is growing opposition to this because of the way it will affect businesses opening. There is pressure on the government to reduce it to 1m along with many other countries.

I heard on the news this morning that our economy shrank by 20% in April, the highest ever amount since records began, and making the last recession in 2008 look like a tiny blip by comparison. This actually worries me more than coronavirus - how on earth are we going to recover from this and how long will it take?

In Tesco Mum bought some essentials and we went to queue at the very farthest end of the store, which was a total pain. It was very clever of Tesco to make us queue where the wines and spirits aisle is!

I drove Mum and Binty back and then went home via the scenic route. The weather has been horrible today with grey lumpy skies and no sign of the sun at all. I had some lunch and then tried to print off some forms for the investment options for Mum and Dad, but my printer refused to work. Typical!

I went alone to get Mike today as Keith was engrossed in the racing and he was very glad that his first week was over. He was shattered, bless him! He hasn't been doing a lot of manual work lately so this week was hard, but enjoyable.

As it's Friday, it was a glass of wine and 90 Day Fiance with a simple supper of soup and a nice dessert. Tomorrow we can all have a lie-in!


No comments: