Monday 15 June 2020

An emotional day

Day 84

I called the Care Home where Dad was this morning at about 9.30am and they said that the patient transport had arrived to take him to Kettering already! This put us in a flap as I was expecting it to arrive after 10am! Sophie had taken today and tomorrow as holiday and all of us dashed over to Mum's house to find Binty's family already there and waiting for us to arrive. We said our goodbyes and I gave her a card and some chocolates to say thank you for looking after Mum for the last six weeks.

We then let my emotional Mum say a goodbye to her house (I was crying as well) and left to go to Kettering. Dad hadn't arrived yet and we all went up to her rooms and had a coffee. Just as I was about to drink it, my Dad's transport arrived and I went down with the Admissions manager to welcome him. He looked frail and thin again but I'm really hoping that he will put on some weight over the next few weeks and improve his mobility.

My parents were pleased to see each other (it's been eight weeks) and after settling them in Keith, Sophie and I went to get their luggage and then filled in some forms. My Dad seemed very pleased with the care home and the fact that they have two rooms is a real bonus. Unfortunately, they have to remain in self-isolation for two weeks but after that they will be able to have their meals in the dining room and take part in lots of activities.

We said goodbye but I was a little worried that their mobile phone wasn't working properly. We drove to Tesco where we bought food for the next three nights - salads, cold meats and quiches as the weather is set to be warm and humid, with warnings of thunderstorms.

After lunch Sophie wanted to pop to Boots to get some moisturiser and I suddenly remembered that non-essential shops were back open today. There were queues to get into JD Sports but neither of us felt like going shopping when we suspected they would be really busy. In the news, there were pictures of people queuing to get into a lot of stores so we think we will leave it a good while before we go! I don't like shopping at the best of times and the thought of queuing like that fills me with dread!

I had told Keith I would pick up Mike and as we had an hour to kill, we attempted Starbucks again. This time were weren't many cars in the queue but it still took us forty-five minutes to get our coffees. We bought an iced one for Mike and sped back over to Kettering to get him. We were still early and predictably, he was out late!

Someone isn't bothered by the thunderstorm!

The warm muggy weather carried on all day and for our evening meal we enjoyed salad, cold meats and new potatoes - perfect for the warm weather!



No comments: