Sunday 7 June 2020

Hopes dashed...

Day 76

I had high hopes for today as the plan was to go and have a coffee with Mum and Binty and then drive over to Rushden Lakes where we were going to have a bite to eat from M&S (I had heard their cafe was doing takeaway) and then walk around the lakes for an hour.

The weather today was supposed to be better than yesterday, but it was abysmal. We had a chat and a coffee with Mum and Binty, and then drove under heavy skies and spitting rain to the large shopping mall. Normally, the place would be heaving with shoppers by 11.30am but today only a few car park spaces had been taken up. Costa Coffee was open for drive-thru orders, but the queue was fairly long so we decided to chance it with M&S, which was open.

I spoke to a very pleasant member of staff by the main entrance doors who said that the cafe was firmly closed, so that was the first blow. I then said we could drive around the rest of the shopping area and see what was open, but the only place doing any takeaways was Bewiched Coffee. Towards the far end of the retail park, nothing except Five Guys was open. I dread to think how many millions of pounds these businesses are losing. Although I am not a slave to some of the shops like Primark, Next or River Island, it was heartbreaking to see them closed up. However, from next Monday, the 15th June, they will be able to re-open but I will avoid going like the plague! Can you imagine the queues! Sophie had wanted to go to Boots but the queues were really long so we gave up on that idea as well! I think my daughter is now heartily sick of this situation!

We parked near Bewiched and went in to order coffees and toasted sandwiches. Several people were sitting nearby on benches outside and enjoying their drinks, and we joined them to have our late breakfast. As we ate, it started to rain and looking at the sky, it was obvious the weather was not going to get any better. Reluctantly, we decided to postpone our walk and head home.

Sophie and I dropped Keith off at home and then we popped to Beckworth to get some treats for Sophie's friend, Laura. The place was pleasantly busy and I picked out two bottles of Pear Cider to try later in the day.

Back home I sat in the conservatory and read the Sunday papers and looked out at a sky full of grey clouds. Horrible! Sophie had a video chat with Laura and Daisy and I went to catch up with the news on television, which was full of the protests all over the country following the death of George Floyd in the USA last month. This year is turning out to be a horrible one...

Keith cooked a delicious roast beef for dinner this evening and it was a real treat to enjoy it. It's been so long I can't remember the last time we had a roast on Sunday!

No comments: