Thursday 27 June 2019

What a scorcher!

We've been hearing reports of a European wide heatwave happening this week with temperatures in France expected to go beyond 40c! We're having our own taste of it this Saturday with highs of about 30c, but thankfully it's expected to get a bit cooler on Sunday. 

It puts me in mind of the heat we've experienced in the past on holiday and although Florida has a humid, moisture-laden heat, I think the hottest I've ever been is Mallorca and it was in the evening! I remember sitting at a restaurant in the square and eating dinner with the sweat just pouring off all of us. Two meals stick out in my memory - one at a place called Tiberi and another at L'Aup where we're hoping to go in September. Just the thought of getting out of our air-conditioned car and walking to the restaurants was unbearable!

Another hot spot was Berlin. We arrived during a heatwave and ate at our favourite restaurant, Reinhard's. The poor waiters had to wear long aprons over their uniforms and I dread to think how hot they were. Again, we just sat and melted in the evening when all the heat that had accumulated over the day by the buildings, was reflected back out at us!

It was also very hot in the south of France where Keith and I holidayed before having the children. We were staying in a small village near the Gorges du Verdon and had visited Greoux-les-Bains for lunch. We had to dodge the intense sun by running from shopfront awning to shopfront awning! I remember that day we ate inside at a lovely cool pizzeria.

And of course, how can I forget Florida? The last time we were there was very hot and Key West was particularly warm! I think it was about 40c and walking about was not pleasant!

As for good old England, the summer of 1976 will always be remembered - not so much for the heat but for the drought and seeing lakes and reservoirs completely dry. I don't even think our hot summer of last year can match that!

Today, after a cloudy start, the sun came out and Sophie and I managed to sit in the garden for a little while after work. However, where we sit misses the evening sun so I might have to re-think where our double seat is situated. Eventually we went in because it felt chilly! 

No comments: