Saturday 22 June 2019

Getting to know you...

Sophie went off to the gym this morning while Keith and I went over to see my Mum and Dad and borrow two of their beach chairs. It's our residents' barbecue today and thankfully the weather was gorgeous with fluffy white clouds and a beautiful blue sky.

Just after returning home, Sophie got back as well and by the time we'd all showered and sorted out our chairs and BBQ, it was time to go. The event was being held on our front green and a few people were already there setting up the grills as well as chairs and tables. Richard, Michelle and Paul were there so we arranged our chairs with theirs and Keith set up our BBQ. We'd brought a bottle of sparkling French wine with us and we clinked glasses in the lovely sunshine. How lucky were we? The last two Saturdays have been terrible and we would have had to have cancelled so I was so glad the sun was out and it was lovely and warm.

Although there was a good turnout, there were still quite a few people missing and it was noticeable that many of them aren't on the residents' Facebook page. Although a flyer had gone out in the local news brochure, I wonder how many people had actually seen it?

Keith grilled some burgers and we munched on crisps and cheeses that Michelle had brought with her. It was all very sociable and it was lovely to chat to people that we hadn't met before.

By 6pm we'd had enough and Sophie and I had worked our way through another bottle of wine (as well as a glass from Michelle's bottle) so I was ready to go home. Sophie suggested we walk up to the pub (Mike had joined us half way through) and although I really didn't feel like it, I was persuaded to go.

The four of us walked up and noticed that the party was still in full swing (the boys had run out of beer so that was why they wanted to go to the pub!). We sat in the garden of the pub and I nursed a bottle of water as I didn't want any more wine. I can't really do drinking at lunchtime as it just makes me sleepy and dopey!

Keith and I left after a couple of drinks and walked slowly home where my husband promptly fell fast asleep. Sophie and Mike arrived home at about 8pm and my daughter was very merry indeed! She doesn't often get tipsy, but this evening she definitely was!

No comments: