Wednesday 28 February 2018

Whiteout!

For some reason I had fondly imagined that today would be a relaxing day...how wrong was I! We had to take my car in for a service at 9am and I was worried about the snow, but we hadn't had any more significant showers since yesterday evening so that was a relief.

We dropped my car off and returned home to collect Sophie and take her to uni in ET. I then suggested a light breakfast in Waitrose so we headed there and enjoyed sausage and bacon baps with a hot drink. I chose a Flat White but I'm afraid Waitrose haven't got it quite right yet! It was more like a normal coffee with hot milk!

From Waitrose we went to Jones's and I bought some bird food for our poor feathered friends who are really suffering in this freezing weather. Throughout the morning we had snow showers but in between the sun came out and it was lovely, if bitterly cold.

We returned home and I caught up with some jobs before I went to the doctor's with Keith. As we were getting into the car Sophie called and asked if we could pick her up at 2pm - we'd been waiting for her to let us know what she was doing so I told Mike we were heading into town as he had asked for a lift. I took Keith to the surgery in Brixworth and then returned home to collect Mike who was finishing getting ready. On the way I became caught in a blizzard and the snow and wind was so bad I could barely see! It was a complete whiteout! By the time I got home it had stopped and the sun had come out again! What weird weather!

We headed back to Brixworth where I had a bit of a shock as there was an ambulance in the car park! Thankfully, Keith came out as we drove in and we were able to dash off to uni to collect Sophie. We then dropped Mike off at college as he was meeting a friend. I had just half an hour to get to Broughton and pick up my car from the garage before I started work at 3pm! Phew!

It hasn't risen above -4c today and despite putting proper windscreen wash in the car it still froze up so driving was really difficult. My car was ready and the mechanic said he couldn't get my windscreen washer to work either! Keith drove the car home and I took ET to the school. I was hoping that the children would all be picked up early today but we were still there until about 5.45pm and it was absolutely freezing when we came out. The wind was really fierce and there's talk of us having bad snow and blizzards tomorrow.

For some reason, I'd left ET in "drive" and the engine wouldn't start. I didn't know this at first and called Keith to come and help but once I realised it needed to be in "park" to start I was fine and I gingerly drove home! What a twit I am!

No comments: