Sunday 18 February 2018

Looking back...

A few weeks ago I dug out some old diaries and this morning I had a read of 1987, a year that stands out in my memory for being a bad year but with the one redeeming feature that I went to Nepal. It was a bad year because my grandfather died in January, there were several national disasters (Kings Cross fire, Herald of Free Enterprise ferry sank, the terrible storm in October) and my Dad had a really bad car accident in November.

I can't believe that it was written 31 years ago and looking at my entries, I haven't really changed that much! I was working hard as my parents had a contract cleaning company and a lot of weekends were given over to working, as well as evenings too. I seemed to spend a lot of time going out with friends into town and working at jobs I hated! Some of the entries were very memorable, others less so and I did feel very thankful that those dark days were in the past.

I'm not really in touch with my friends from that period except for Julia who lives in Chicago. She's coming over to the UK in March with her family and it'll be great to catch up.

Julia and I in June 1987 at a medieval banquet at Coombe Abbey.

One thing I do know is that I went out a lot more than Sophie does now and seemed to be forever driving everywhere, even on nights out in town where we hung out at various bars and clubs! I do wonder what all those people I knew are doing now! I dread to think!

No comments: