Monday 25 December 2017

The Big Day!

Christmas Day dawned cloudy and cool with grey skies, although we did see some blue sky and sun during the morning, which was a bonus!

We were all up and opening presents at 9am and I think we all did very well! I was especially pleased with a forthcoming trip to The Shard in January! What a great surprise!


We all enjoyed a glass of Champagne while we opened our presents and then it was time to knuckle down and prepare dinner. I set the table and tidied the conservatory while Sophie hoovered. By midday we were all set as Keith had prepared all the vegetables and the house was looking very festive. I'd even found a youtube video to play while we were eating Christmas dinner!

Keith and Mike went to the pub at lunchtime while Sophie and I had showers. I took our turkey out of the fridge at 12.30pm and then went to collect the boys. The pub was full of people drinking before lunch so there was a great atmosphere but I wasn't enticed into having a drink as I had a glass of sherry waiting for me at home!

At 2pm my parents arrived and we opened loads more presents - they had really gone to town! Sophie and I received a Spa Retreat Day which was wonderful and I was also given a lovely soft dressing gown which was perfect. With Sophie's blue pyjamas she bought me, I should look lovely at bedtime!

While we opened our presents we had It's A Wonderful Life on the television and at 3pm we had our starter of prawn cocktail, which was delicious. Keith then prepared the rest of the meal, helped by Sophie and I, and by 4.30pm we were sitting down to roast turkey and all the trimmings. We put the food out onto a table in the study as there was no way we could fit all the dishes onto the dining room table!

The food was delicious and the Chablis I'd ordered from Sainsbury's was beautiful and went really well with the turkey. After helping Sophie and Mike clear away we all retreated into the living room to watch Morecambe and Wise and relax. Sophie, my Dad and Keith all fell asleep!

We enjoyed Christmas pudding and chocolate sponge for dessert with glasses of Sauternes and settled down to watch Skyfall. My parents left at about 9pm and said they'd thoroughly enjoyed their day with us so that was great.

It's been a lovely day but I'm glad it's all over and we can look forward to a day of relaxation tomorrow!

No comments: