Tuesday 19 December 2017

Laughter and tears...

Sophie and I went to meet my friend Gill for coffee this morning at Costa in Weston Favell. As usual the place was busy so we grabbed an empty table and waited for her to arrive. I treated her to a pot of tea and ordered coffees and muffins for Sophie and I.

We had a general chat and then she hit us with a bombshell...she has been diagnosed with terminal cancer and there's very little they can do for her. I'd known she was having investigations but I honestly thought she was going to be OK, so it was a huge shock. Both Sophie and I were very upset but Gill was marvellous. She has a very positive attitude and told us about her lovely weekend when she'd gone to the pantomime with her daughters and grandchildren and had come home in a limousine.

I felt so sad that she was facing this horrible disease but I just pray that she's still here for many years to come. The mother of one of Sophie's friends was given six months to live over two years ago and she's still here and enjoying life so I hope that the same goes for Gill.

We had a laugh despite her news and arranged to meet up again at Easter. After we said goodbye Sophie and I went into Tesco and picked out dinner for tonight and tomorrow. I also popped into Wilco's and bought two frames for Mike's posters that we've ordered for Christmas.

Back home we had lunch and then it was time to go to the school. We only had seven children in this evening and there was a lovely relaxed atmosphere. Tomorrow is our last day! I was overjoyed to get some presents from parents tonight, which I was not expecting!

No comments: