Saturday 10 June 2017

A very enjoyable pub crawl!

Sophie and I were in at work again today so I dropped her off and continued on my way. I did think it was going to be a long and tedious day, but although we were quiet with customers, we did have a few characters in that added a bit of interest, thank goodness!

The weather has been lovely today, with lots of blue skies and sunshine and we did wonder why we were so quiet! Just before I left I helped cut up some lemons and oranges as today is National Gin Day and we were holding another tasting in the early evening.

I sped home at 4pm, had a lovely hot shower and then Keith and I tucked into baked potatoes with cheese as we were out in the evening with Sarah and Liam and had agreed to have a pub crawl rather than go out for a meal.

While Keith got ready I collected Sophie from work, dashed home and put some make-up on. Our friends and erstwhile neighbours picked us up and we headed for The Black Horse at Foxton where Keith, Sophie and I had visited last May. The pub was quiet and the landlady said that they wouldn't be serving food as there was something wrong with the kitchen...it was a good job we hadn't planned on eating there then! Keith and Liam had beer while I chose a blackcurrant cider that tasted like fizzy Ribena!

From Foxton we went to The Neville Arms in Medbourne, passing the Queens head at Sutton Bassett on the way which looked firmly closed. What a shame as this used to be one of our favourite pubs...

The Neville Arms was packed to the rafters as there was a wedding party celebrating but we managed to find a quiet table and continued with our pub crawl. This time the men did not like their beer at all - Cheshire Cat, I think it was - and gave it a rude name! I had a normal cider this time!

After Medbourne we re-traced our steps and went to The Coach and Horses in Lubenham, just outside Market Harborough. Again, this was a pub we visited on one of the Bank Holidays last May and this turned out to be the star of the evening. The beer was pronounced "excellent!" so we stayed here for the rest of the evening. I had a cider but dropped a measure of whisky into it which was delicious!

We had a fantastic evening with lots of chat and laughter and a fair amount of reminiscing! We arrived home at almost midnight and Sophie was still awake, bless her!

No comments: