Thursday 22 June 2017

A clash with planes...

This morning, at work, I accompanied Jonathan as he was making three deliveries to Sywell Aerodrome. We were delivering to an aerobatic team based at the small airport, called The Blades, as they were having a big event on the Saturday night and they had ordered a vast quantity of wine, Champagne and other drinks.

When we got to Sywell, we saw a Spitfire sitting near the airfield so that was a real treat. I'm sure my Dad would have been green with envy if he'd known where I was! We were told where to go which involved driving onto the apron where a fair number of planes were parked! Before we could unload our delivery, two men had to take out the four planes that were currently being housed in a small hangar...they pulled them out by hand and they were tiny! Like slightly bigger model aeroplanes that my Dad flies!

We unloaded the van which was full of Veuve Cliquot Champagne and luckily the two men helped so we were able to get back onto the road and load up the van again. It was hard work, but very enjoyable. Luckily the weather has been much cooler today with a breeze and overcast skies so it wasn't too hot unloading all the boxes.

We did our second trip and this time our way was blocked by the Spitfire which was getting re-fuelled! Jonathan had to make a detour around the filling station! James the Manager went with Jonathan for the third and final trip while I stayed behind in the store. The deliveries certainly made today go very fast and it was great to be out and about on the road!

James today has asked whether I'm interested in working full time for the company and said I could take some time to think about it. I was flattered and pleased to be asked and my head says I should, but my heart says no as it is hard work and the hours that the other staff do are very long indeed. I said I would consider it and maybe cover throughout July as James will be away for a while as he's getting married. Unfortunately, he is quite difficult to work with and the atmosphere is very different when he is in at work, which is a real shame. Shereen is going to Leicester at the end of the month so it will mean they will be short-staffed in July. I was looking forward to having some time off in July and had made plans for all sorts of things, but they might have to be put on hold now!

After picking Sophie up later in the day we returned home to play cards in the conservatory and I told my family what had happened. Keith seemed very relieved but I still felt a nagging sense of doubt...I honestly cannot wait until our holiday arrives!

No comments: