Friday 23 June 2017

Beware...a moany entry today!

I was awake at about 5.30am this morning, which wasn't ideal! Keith was also up so we had a chat about the job offer I'd received and my night's sleep hadn't reconciled me to the idea of working a 45 hour week!

Unfortunately, today wasn't the best of days and it brought it home to me how tough this job can be. There are lovely instances when customers come in and need recommendations and we have a chat, but the reality is that the wine that comes in on pallets (and beer, of course) all has to be put away and that means dismantling the displays that are already set up and trying to slot it all in. It also means being on my feet for hours at a time and the boots I'm wearing definitely need to be changed if I'm to continue in July.

Jonathan took me to the bank first thing on his way to a delivery and I walked back to the store before starting to put away wine and beer from the four pallets that had been delivered this morning. I think this whole system is ludicrous - in my opinion there should be a larger storeroom area and the wine should be on shelves not balanced on boxes of wine. I have never seen so much stock in all my life! It just continues to pour in! I thought back fondly to when I worked for Duncan Murray who kept all his wines in a storeroom at the back and if a customer wanted a box it would be easy to go and fetch it. Here, the customers are terrified of moving anything as they are scared they will send a whole clutch of bottles crashing to the ground!

Today was in a stark contrast to last Friday when Jonathan went to get fish and chips for our lunch and we had a really enjoyable day. It got to 2pm and nobody had done anything until James the manager sent Jonathan to Lidl. This meant that I didn't get to have anything to eat until 3.30pm, just half an hour before I was due to leave.

I also made the grave mistake of transferring sixteen boxes of wine from a pallet to a trolley and then decided I could get them all away before 4pm. It was hard work especially as a stack of boxes had to be moved out of the way first to make room. Trying to cram the new boxes in was hard work and I was almost crying by the time I'd finished at well after 4pm.

I drove home feeling thoroughly miserable and worn out. Was cleaning the conservatory such a good idea on Wednesday?! As soon as I got home I jumped into the bath and then it was time to go and pick up Sophie and Mike, who was also in Moulton. My daughter had had a bad day at work as well and had been left on her own to cook for two parties in the evening as well as a pile of orders from customers. She was shattered as she'd been in every day this week and is also due to work nine hours tomorrow.

Our wine evening was a bit lack-lustre tonight as we both felt so tired!


No comments: