Monday 28 September 2020

New working hours

 Today was the first day of our new hours - 10am until 4pm - which seems to me to be a crazy idea. What about people that work all day and need to call us about something?

I looked at Google maps first thing and noticed a huge jam on the A45 caused by, I later found out, a lorry shedding its load. I'm just glad that Sophie wasn't going into work as she would have been seriously held up! I warned my colleagues but when the time came for all of us to leave and start work, the road had been cleared.

It felt very strange to be at home past 8am this morning. At work, at 10am, there were four of us answering the phones, and Denise was also in to make calls to prospective members, so the noise level was very loud when all of us were on the phone at the same time! And that happened a lot! At one point we had about ten calls in the queue but it did quieten down slightly as the day wore on.

At 4pm we all logged off, and before going home the four of us had a chat about the new hours. None of us like the new regime at all as it gives us little time to do anything else at home. I yearn for my old hours back - they suited me so well and gave me a lovely work/life balance. I am now working Wednesdays, which was never the idea, and Jo said she hates going in on a Friday as this used to be her day off to spend with her husband.

By the time I arrived home, it was 4.30pm and after changing, I set about calling Sky and then Mum and Dad's home insurance company to cancel their policy. Sky, surprisingly, was great and very understanding, and even the company that provided their home and contents insurance arranged for me to email them with the proof they had moved, so that was easier than expected. 

I did an hour's paperwork before relaxing with Keith in the conservatory and playing cards. Sophie cooked a meaty pasta bake from scratch and it was delicious!

No comments: