Wednesday 23 September 2020

Moving day...

 Today dawned grey, cloudy and miserable, which rather matched my mood! I was dreading today because the removals men were due to pack all my parents' furniture and put it into storage.

Sophie went to the gym and then straight to work and at about 7.30am Keith and I went over to Mum and Dad's house. We hadn't been told what time the removals firm was arriving but we guessed it would be about 9am. We were almost right, and they arrived a little before, the huge lorry taking up almost the whole of the road outside.

I sped off to the Co-op to buy some coffee, milk and biscuits which coincided with the school run so there were loads of cars parked everywhere. When I got back I made us all a coffee and while the men worked away, Keith and I packed up all the smaller items.

Looking back, we didn't put as much into storage as we should have done. All the big furniture went in, as well as most of the pictures, some ornaments and chair cushions but a lot of their china, all the books and my Dad's planes will be stored at home with us.

Outside the weather was horrible with misty, grey skies and drizzly rain. I felt so sad seeing all of their possessions put into the huge wooden crates but I suppose it was better than everything being thrown away.

The men left at just after lunchtime and Keith and I popped home for a sandwich. It was then time to go and pick Mike up from work, and he wanted a haircut so we drove to The Men's Room in Kettering. He was gone for a while so it was lovely to sit in the car and relax. I think Keith even fell asleep!

We dropped him off at home and then went back to the house to do some more work. Understandably the house was in a mess but we have the whole of tomorrow to get everything moved out and cleaned.

At about 4.30pm we called it a day, and after preparing the vegetables for dinner, Keith jumped into the bath. I was just about to follow him when Mike called from Brixworth to ask for a lift home! I was shattered but I went and picked him up and then had a much-needed hot soak when I returned home.

At least this evening we didn't have to go anywhere, and it was great to enjoy cottage pie for dinner. After we'd eaten, I was exhausted so it was an early night for me!


No comments: