Saturday 19 September 2020

Yet another shock!

 Today dawned beautiful and sunny, and temperatures were set to be warm for the time of year. It was lovely to relax first thing and not rush about!

Sophie was meeting her boyfriend in London today and I took her down to the station at about 10.30am. Keith and Mike had gone over to my Mum and Dad's house to start dismantling the dining room table, and Mike called to say that there had been a leak in the downstairs loo, and the hallway carpet was saturated. I was shocked and dismayed by the news. It's another problem that I really didn't need today... I am beginning to think we have some sort of curse on us.

I dropped Sophie off, told her to have a lovely day and not worry about anything, and headed back to Mum and Dad's house to find out what was going on. On the way, I became caught in the roadworks again on the Kettering Road - will I ever learn?

I arrived to find water bubbling out of the bottom of the cistern and the hallway carpet very wet indeed. In a panic, I rang an emergency plumber but they couldn't come out until Monday, which was no good as we couldn't stop the water because of the stopcock being jammed tight. I phoned another company, and they said someone would be out to us within the hour. I dreaded to think about how much it would cost...

While we were waiting we put the dining room table and chairs into my Dad's car and Sophie's car and I emptied the cupboards and gave them a good clean. The plumber arrived and fiddled about for three hours, finally fixing the problem, thank goodness. I still don't know what it was - he did explain but I was past caring by then! The total bill came to a whopping £450.00. 

Keith was supposed to have to see Sileby play this afternoon, but he cancelled as there was still so much to do, poor thing. We returned home in the late afternoon and left Sophie's car at the house overnight as it was still full of dining room chairs!

Before heading home we called to the tip with some old pots and pans that I was not going to put in storage! Back home we checked that the Chinese in Broughton was delivering, and had a much-needed bath!

We ordered the food, and while we waited we were able to relax for a while - both Keith and I were shattered. As usual the meal was delicious and there was plenty leftover for lunch tomorrow. Sophie called to say she was getting a train at just after 7pm so we both went to collect her and came home to finally enjoy a drink!

No comments: