Saturday 5 September 2020

Choices, choices!

This morning we should have been on our way to France but of course, we've postponed the trip until next April. I am truly hopeful we will go, a year later than planned! It would have been lovely to get away for a few days but I think we're all resigned to the fact that this year will be a year of non-travel.

So, instead of being away on a break, we were at home and Mike was working... and started at 5am! My poor husband took him to work and then came home and went back to bed. I was up at about 6.30am and I hoped that Mike wouldn't be too late this morning as we had an appointment at Magnet at 10am.

Luckily, everything worked out perfectly and Mike called just before 9am to ask us to pick him up. I'd suggested Keith shower before me so he was already dressed and went off to get him. When he arrived back, it was time for us to leave and today I decided on a different route. However, we came across roadworks by Becket's Park but we did arrive on time today, thank goodness!

Sophie came with us as she was catching a train at 11.15am to Birmingham to meet her boyfriend. In Magnet we looked at applicances such as the oven, dishwasher, washing machine and extractor fan. When it came to deciding on the hob we have decided on an induction option which Sophie wasn't sure about. However, when we had a demonstration, Sophie was definitely won over! We could touch the hob itself without being burned!

Once all that was done and added to the kitchen the designer printed off the actual layout for us on A3 paper, so it was great to see what it would look like! Sophie was a bit worried about the time so I took her to the station and arrived back just before we learnt how much it was all going to cost. Keith was hoping for less than £10,000 but I had a feeling that it would be more... the result? £16800! We were both shocked!



This price does not include flooring, tiles, installation or the building works we need such as taking the wall down between the old dining room and the kitchen and putting in a new window. Hmmm! Time to have a re-think and then see what Howdens come up with on Friday!

We left Magnet and popped to Jones's where we bought some boring bits like batteries. As expected, their Christmas range had started to appear so I grabbed two boxes of the Peter Pauper cards that I love.


I think this design is very apt for this year! Also, I bought a new 2021 diary and a calendar - honestly, I cannot wait until this horrible year is over!

Mike called to ask us to pick him up some chicken and pasta for his lunch so we called into Asda on the way home and bought what he needed plus a bottle of Gin for Abbie's birthday on Monday. Then it was lunch in the conservatory and a read of the newspaper.

As I was working quite a bit last week, the house had been neglected so I spent the afternoon giving the downstairs a good clean and catching up with paperwork. I looked at the solicitor forms again and did what I could but I'll have to call him on Monday and clarify a few points that I just don't understand.

Keith, amazingly, went to see Sileby play for the first time in months and met his old chums for a good chinwag. In the evening we had a barbecue and I noticed how dark it's getting now at about 7.30pm. Autumn is definitely here!

Our film choice for this evening was the next James Bond film, Octopussy, which Keith and I though was just silly! Roll on the next one!

No comments: