Friday 4 September 2020

Irritating niggles

I let Keith have a lie-in this morning and drove myself to work. Yesterday was the first day since March that I'd started at 8am and the children were at school, so I was interested to see how the new dual carriageway on the A43 would be at that time of the morning. Luckily, it has been fine even though one lane of the new stretch is closed at the moment. They built the new road and then immediately had to dig a long stretch of it up again to put some kind of pipe in! Crazy!

I don't have my safety valve road available to me because there's some kind of work going on with that as well so I am mightily glad that either a) the new road is coping or b) not everybody is back at work yet!

Work this morning was a lot quieter so for that we were very thankful! We had long gaps between calls and both Kathy and I were able to get some much-needed work done. I sped home at 2pm and collected Keith before heading off to Kettering to get some diesel for my car. On the way, the estate agent called about the papers that need signing and several queries that the buyer has. Apparently, he is a very strange individual and I told Jess that I had been extremely busy over the last week so hadn't had a chance to do anything with the sale but that I was seeing my parents on Sunday. I lamented to Keith that why couldn't we have had a reasonable person buying the house? He keeps going on about the flipping boiler and wants to know if we are prepared to have it serviced before he moves in! Short answer...NO!

We picked up Mike from work and drove home and this was my first experience of the area around the golf club being at the mercy of the school run... the witching hour I call it, when parents are in a desperate bid to collect their little darlings from school and drive too fast as they're late! What a difference it was to how we were used to and there must be at least two schools churning out pupils at the time we are driving home!

When we arrived home I had a good look at the papers the solicitor had sent and there was some nonsense about paying the vicar of Cransley an amount of money every year which dated back decades! I felt too morose to do anything about it this evening so I will take the papers to sign on Sunday and then concentrate on them on Monday. Sophie's boyfriend is a trainee solicitor and has just done a stint on conveyancing so I might get some tips from him!

Sophie and I had a glass of wine this evening but we sat and chatted about work and my parents until 7pm. I then watched half an hour of Top of the Pops from 1977 and it was great! I was nine years old at the time and seeing Michael Jackson so young and fresh-faced gave me a bit of a pang!






No comments: