Friday 17 July 2020

Toiling away!

Day 116

Unbelievably, the schools here in Northamptonshire broke up for the long summer holidays today, although I expect most children were still at home. I had to look up the term dates on the County Council website to make sure, and if I'd been at work we would have been very busy with booking playscheme places throughout the holidays.

Sophie had a run around the estate and then went to work as usual. Keith and I drove over to Mum and Dad's and spent two hours gardening. The grass on the back lawn was really long and while Keith mowed, I weeded the borders and then went out to the front garden to get rid of all the weeds in the gravel.

It was hot at the front and the sun was full on me, so it wasn't too pleasant. I managed to clear all the weeds and then I worked my way along the front, digging over the soil and pulling out more huge dandelions. Keith strimmed a patch of long grass and when we finished it looked so much better.

We sat for a little while in the garden and I thought how sad it was that my parents weren't here to enjoy the house. However, there's no point in dwelling on things and I still believe they're in the right place.

We went home, had a shower and lunch and I spent the rest of the afternoon relaxing. It had grown hotter by the hour and going to collect Mike from work I noticed it was hovering around 27-28c. Mike was thankful to be finished work for the week and as soon as he arrived home he cooked himself a pizza, had a shower and then got ready to go to Abbie's for the weekend.

I tried to persuade Mike to wait until Sophie came home but he was raring to go so we left at about 5pm and passed Sophie on the way. I dropped him off and noticed how busy Abington Park was... there were cars parked all along the road and the area was packed with people out enjoying the early evening sunshine.

I sped back home and enjoyed a glass of Prosecco with Sophie and Married At First Sight Australia. Dinner tonight was a delicious curry - Keith had started cooking it and we finished it!


No comments: