Tuesday 28 July 2020

Postponing plans...

It was very much like old times this morning when Sophie woke me up at 6.30am to say she was off to the gym. She was also going into work today and was looking forward to her old routine of working out, showering and then the short journey to her office.

Keith went and did some shopping for us and I spent the morning doing housework and catching up with some overdue jobs. I was due to start work at 1pm today and was working until 5pm, when Sophie was going to pick me up.

Keith took me into work and I noticed hundreds of silver capsules littered all over the car park - they were little helium gas canisters and they were everywhere! I took some photos and went into the building to let the staff know, as it looked really bad for the few customers who were coming in. Luckily, the front car park isn't used that much and I wondered how long they'd been there? As it had been pouring with rain yesterday I hadn't noticed them.

Work was much better today and although we were busy the calls were a lot easier to deal with. I even had time to process some orders and sort out a load of papers that had been dumped near the printer. Some of the documents were mine from before lockdown and I wondered how they had ended up there!

I finished at 5pm and Sophie texted me to say she was on her way. When I walked out, the building was empty and I couldn't help feeling sad again that we were so quiet. At this time of the evening we'd normally have swimming lessons taking place, people going to the cinema and lots of activities going on. The car park had just two cars but I was pleased to see all the canisters had been tidied away!

Keeping my eye on a dodgy man near the bus stops over the road, I waited for Sophie who arrived about fifteen minutes after I finished. We called to get petrol on the way home and Sophie just remembered in time to put a mask on when she went in to pay!

Back home we sat and discussed our France weekend in September, and we made the decision to try and postpone the trip until April next year. Yesterday we had all received the shock news that people coming home from holidays in Spain needed to self-quarantine for fourteen days and I just couldn't risk the same thing happening if France was affected. I don't think my manager would be very happy!

We contacted the Airbnb owner and our request was accepted so we are now going April 3rd to the 6th next year, when hopefully all this will be over. We have booked an extra night so we can still celebrate Sophie's birthday in France.  We now just need to amend the ferry booking...

I felt very relieved, to be honest. Mike wasn't able to come with us anyway as he couldn't get the time off work so that had been a blow, but I am much happier now we have delayed the trip to next year. Let's all pray that this crisis is just a distant memory!

We sat and played cards in the conservatory and then enjoyed toad in the hole for dinner. Well, Sophie and I had veggie sausages so not quite sure what we should have called our meal!


No comments: