Monday 20 July 2020

Cocktails in the garden!

Day 119

So begins my last week of being at home on furlough and I heard today that my manager wants us to go in on Friday to get ourselves up to date with what we used to do and do a little bit of training. It was good news to me!

Today the weather has been gorgeous and Keith and I went to Beckworth to get some food for the rest of the week. We have been threatening to get our meat from there and today was the day! We bought turkey, ham and leek pies for tonight, chicken and sausages for tomorrow when we're going to have a traybake, and some barbecue meats for Wednesday. We also picked out some cheese and garlic bread for lunch and, as a treat, three sausage rolls!

The place was very quiet and there was a sign saying they're going to re-open the restaurant on the 3rd August. This is very good news and we can't wait to go back!

We dropped the food off at home and then popped to Aldi where we bought vegetables, salad and some items for the food bank collection tomorrow. The weeks certainly roll around quickly!

Sophie had mentioned wanting an Aperol Spritz so as a treat I bought a bottle of Prosecco in Aldi and a bottle of Aperol in Asda. It was £17 but the alcohol content is only 11%... how does that work? Anyway, it was something to look forward to at the end of the day and we had decided to go for a walk after work, so it was great to think about sitting in the garden afterwards and enjoying the cocktail!

We enjoyed cheese on the garlicky bread for lunch, even though Keith stated that the bread tasted like soil! Hmmm! I will have to think about lunches for work again soon and spotted my little insulated food bag the other day in the corner of the study. It felt like I hadn't used it for an age!

Sophie and I went for a great walk after she finished work and it brought back memories of the early days of lockdown when we went out regularly. We walked up to the sheep field and pushed our way through loads of nettles to get to the right path.



When we got to the sheep field we couldn't see any of them at all but then we found out they were near to the farm and were being given hay by the farmer. We walked into the village, up to the "triangle" of grass and then walked home. It had been lovely and I took some cloud pics on the way:



Just before getting home we met Paul and the doggies and had a good chat. Things are so much more relaxed now, thank goodness and we spoke about all getting together on Friday evening for a drink and some nibbles.

Back home Sophie and I made the Aperol Spritz cocktails and sat in the garden, which was really lovely. The bees were buzzing about in the lavender, which smelt wonderful and reminded me of the south of France, where Keith and I once stayed in an Auberge surrounded by fields of lavender. Heavenly!

Keith was watching Newcastle play this evening so Sophie and I finished the preparations for dinner. I didn't think the pies were very good, to be honest. They were certainly deep filled but I preferred the ones we normally buy from Aldi!

No comments: