Saturday 25 July 2020

Back at work... AND a haircut!

I felt a little nervous this morning going to work but we had a good support team in the office and we said that the customers would just have to bear with us for a while!

At 9am when the phone lines opened, nothing happened! We had all been expecting a flood of calls seeing as this was the first day since the 20th March when our members had been able to actually talk to someone! Nicola even made a test call to make sure the system was working properly but within a few minutes the calls started coming in. Our wallboard was acting up and our calls weren't divided into different categories like they usually were, so that was a bit strange. Normally we get a voice telling us what kind of call is coming through so we're prepared.

Once the calls started, they didn't stop and most of them were about problems booking gym sessions online or whether our pools were open. Again, a lot of the information was available on our website page or our Facebook page but we were happy to help and we didn't get any ranting calls from people, so that was a relief! I even signed up quite a few customers who had cancelled their direct debits during lockdown.

The time passed very quickly and both Kathy and I found ourselves adapting well to being back at work. It's amazing how easily you lapse back into the habits of old! Kathy left at 1pm and I was glad Sheila was also manning the phones today. Just before 2pm Sara started closing everything down and on the dot of 2pm that was it! Our first day was over! Normally the phone lines would be open until 4pm so it was great to go at 2pm and meet Sophie who had come to collect me.

We had a hair appointment at 2.30pm and had plenty of time to get to the salon and find a parking space for ET. I thought we were going to have our hair done at the same time but I had to wait for Sophie, which wasn't a bad thing as I was able to read my Kindle. As she was being finished off I had my hair washed and then it was my turn in the chair to have my dry ends lopped. The man cutting my hair didn't stop talking once, which was an absolute pain as I really didn't want to hear what he was going on about! It was also a nuisance wearing a mask throughout, but again, it's something we will just have to get used to!

Back home I had a cup of tea and read the paper while outside the weather turned really horrible. We had a weather warning out for thunderstorms today but we just had torrential rain. Keith cooked a "posh" cottage pie for dinner using chunks of delicious beef rather than mince and it was delicious accompanied by a gorgeous red from Aldi.

After we'd eaten we settled down to watch Ad Astra starring Brad Pitt and halfway through the evening a huge black ominous cloud moved across the sky. It looked terrifying! Later we discovered that an area of Northampton had been affected by a tornado and I think the black cloud we saw was the remnants of the weather system!

No comments: