Tuesday 7 July 2020

A half hour of bliss!

Day 106

Sophie was off down to London this morning to see her friend again, so Keith and I took her to the station in time for her 9.30am train. We were amazed to see the car park almost empty - a huge difference to what it would be like normally, with not a space free!

After we dropped her off we drove to B&Q and bought some more white spirit and some masking tape. We then popped to Aldi next door and bought pizzas and salad for our dinner this evening. I also bought some food for our fortnightly food bank collection, which is needed now more than ever.

We headed home, dropped off the food and then went back out again to head over to Mum's house, where I wanted to get some stuff to take to her in hospital. However, Mike called on the way and asked us if we could look in Sophie's car for some keys that had gone missing at work yesterday afternoon. He thought he might have dropped them on the way home, but we searched high and low and couldn't find them (he didn't expect us to), so we were running later than normal. I decided to drive to the care home and just pick up some clothes for Mum instead and when I collected the bag from reception and looked inside, I realised she needed a few more bits, so it was off to the Co-op nearby!

It's very frustrating that we can't visit at the moment so at the hospital all I could do was drop off her bag at reception and leave it. On the way home, in the village, we noticed the pub door open so I suggested we go in. I don't think Keith was that keen but I thought it would be nice just to pretend to be "normal" for a little while so we went in!

We were the only people in at 11.30am (I think they didn't really open until 12pm) but it was bliss to sit at one of our usual tables and have a very quick drink. Keith's Abbot was great and I could tell he really enjoyed his first pub ale since the 20 March! We chatted with the manager (Ian was about but was busy) and it was very pleasant indeed! For me, it was the highlight of an otherwise miserable day! Keith is now hoping to go back in on Friday evening and resume his normal weekly visit with his mates.

We returned home where I called various people and did some chores that I had been putting off until today. Unfortunately, the weather matched my general mood today - it's been dismal and drizzly and the rain carried on all afternoon and into the evening.

Sophie kept in touch with me and said she was getting the 8.15pm train home, getting back into Northampton at just after 9pm. We had a desultory dinner (I always fancy the idea of pizza but the reality is different!) and then we relaxed until it was time to leave.

She had had a fabulous day with a gorgeous brunch, cocktails, a visit to the Sky Garden and an early dinner with wine. She was feeling very mellow and it was lovely to see her so happy!

No comments: