Tuesday 14 July 2020

New carpet!

Day 113

Our new carpet was due to be fitted today so as soon as Sophie had started work, Keith and I cleared out our bedroom as much as we could. I had already taken out all the bedding and the bedside cabinets, and we managed to move the chest of drawers and a wooden storage box into Sophie's room. We leant the mattress up against the banisters but we kept the divan in the bedroom and managed to separate it into two single beds.

It was hard work and after we'd finished I hoovered the floor again. I am more than ready for the new carpet now, and hate walking on the bare boards!

I decided to go and tidy up the front garden this morning and was pleased that the soil was lovely and crumbly after the rain we 'd had. Keith had cut the verge on Sunday and we could see that the grass seed we'd put down had definitely sprouted. I swept up all the leaves on the road and tidied everything, and then had a good chat with Michelle as she pulled onto the red brick driveway.

When I was finished Keith transferred some of the soil onto the verge and we put some more grass seed down. There's no harm in trying! While we were working the carpet fitter arrived and when it was time for him to take the new carpet in, Keith and I had to help him up the stairs with it as it was so heavy! I have no idea how he could have done it on his own!

We were delighted with the room when he'd finished and I hoovered the carpet and down the stairs which was full of fluff and loose bits of material. After lunch Keith and I went to Kettering to look at bed headboards in two stores but we didn't see anything we liked. After we'd mooched about looking at all the choices we went and collected a new white valance from Dunelm that I'd ordered this morning. While we were in there we checked out the curtains but we've decided to live with the new carpet for a while before making any decisions about new curtains and quilt covers.

As we had some time until we had to collect Mike, we popped to the Laura Ashley store near Tesco where they were having a closing down sale. Again, we didn't see anything we liked and in Next nearby we saw some very strange little ornaments that looked tacky and cheap!

Back home I ironed the new valance and put it on while Keith and Mike moved all the furniture back into the room. After we'd finished we decided that a cup of tea and a new documentary about the rise of the Nazis were just the thing, so we collapsed in a heap on the sofa and watched television for an hour! We'd had a very busy day!

It was lovely to sit and play cards in the evening before dinner and all four of us played. I was out early on so I started the dinner - very simple roasted chicken drumsticks with salad and new potatoes after our busy day!

No comments: