Friday 1 November 2019

Girls' night in!

Keith had had a terrible night and had ended up sleeping on the sofa because every time he laid down he started coughing. It was a real shame that he needed the car this morning and had to take me into work, otherwise he could have gone back to bed when I got up.

My shift passed quickly at work but we had lots of niggling little problems, so I was very glad to leave at 2pm! We called into the Co-op in Moulton on the way home to get some flowers and chocolates for Sue as Sophie and I were going to visit her in her new house this evening. 

At 6pm Sophie and I dressed warmly in coats, scarves and boots and went to the bonfire and fireworks in the village. We parked on the outskirts so we could drive straight to Kettering to see Sue  afterwards. A lot of people were walking along to the field and after paying our admission fee we walked up to the tent where Sophie bought a plastic beaker of red wine. We also indulged in a burger and a hot dog smothered in crispy onions. Delicious!

The bonfire was lit at about 6.30pm followed by the fantastic fireworks. I love this tradition so much and it was wonderful to see the huge bonfire alight with the fireworks behind.







Sophie took a selfie of us to record the occasion...


After the fireworks we walked back to the car in the rain (it had rained on and off all evening) and drove to Sue's house. I vaguely knew the way and we saw Richard's Audi parked at the entrance to the street where Sue lives. I managed to manoeuvre Sophie's car in front of Sue's and we knocked on the door. The door opened slightly and a weird man's voice asked who it was...for one moment I thought it was Sue's new partner, Martyn, but it turned out to be Richard goofing about! He hugged us and after a few minutes left to go home. Tonight was strictly girls' night!

We were introduced to Martyn who seemed lovely and he disappeared upstairs to his "man cave" while Sophie and I caught up with Sue and Michelle. Sue had put on a feast of Indian appetisers, cheese, biscuits, dips, crusty bread and olives. I drank a whole bottle of the Freixenet 0.0% fizz while the others sank two bottles of the New Zealand Pinot Gris that we all love.

We had a great evening with lots of chat and laughter and left at about 11pm. On the way home I spotted a police car and shouted out at them to come and breathalyse me! Sober for a whole month!

No comments: