Saturday 16 November 2019

Something new...

Annoyingly, I was awake at just before 6.30am this morning so I went downstairs and caught up with some of the programmes I'd recorded on television. It was a lovely relaxing start to the weekend.

Amazingly, the heavy rain of last night gave way to sunshine and blue skies today so that was a bonus. After breakfast I walked to a neighbour's to deliver the Spring bulbs for the green and we had a chat about Parish matters and how difficult it was to come to a decision about anything! It was lovely to be out in the fresh air but the ground was very wet indeed and there were loads of leaves everywhere.

Back home, after a short, but heated, discussion about a trip to France in December (we had planned on going to a Christmas market, but for some reason I had doubts about going) I suggested to Sophie that we go into Northampton to try and sell her Nikon camera at a shop on the Wellingborough Road. Sophie never uses this beautiful camera any more as her phone takes great photos and it's just languishing in her room gathering dust. We put the battery on to charge and had showers before setting out to see if we could get a reasonable price.

The shop offered £80 which we thought was a bit low so we'll probably try to sell it on ebay. On the way back to the car we called into a small Sainsbury's and I bought a bottle of red and a tube of Pringles for later.

I then suggested we go and try a new cafe I'd heard about in Orlingbury called Wythmails so after putting my filthy car through the carwash, we drove over. We knew it closed at 4pm but we just fancied a slice of cake and a cup of tea. We found it (with some difficulty!) and parked right outside. The cafe is very small with about eight tables and we didn't know whether we had to wait to be seated or what... we stood by the counter and a young member of staff told us to find a table.

A woman who had been on the phone outside bustled over as we were looking at the menu and said that the kitchen closed at 3pm. We explained we didn't want a meal, just cake, so she told us that we needed to order at the counter, which surprised me as I thought they would at least come to take our order!

Sophie went and chose two small cakes and a hot chocolate for us each which came to a staggering £12! The cakes were small and disappeared rather quickly! The other people dining were enjoying lunch and the menu did look good, but I thought the prices were a bit steep. £2.80 for tea?

Our drinks arrived and they were covered in cream and marshmallows and were accompanied by a chocolate star and a Flake.


They were delicious, but then they should have been for £3.50!

Wythmails is relatively new and is competing with Beckworth (4 miles away) and Manvell Farm tearoom in Walgrave so I was a bit surprised at how high the prices are. I'm not sure we will go back. to be honest, but I'm glad we tried it.

We drove home the long way and took some photos of the beautiful sunset...



Back home Keith had the fire going in the living room so it was very cosy. We relaxed and Sophie and I made dinner of stir fry chicken and vegetables with noodles, which was delicious. Keith had bought us a bottle of whisky in Tesco this morning so we indulged with that and after dinner watched the end of Vertigo, which was very good, despite the weird dream sequence!

No comments: