Wednesday 27 November 2019

Out for a treat!

I had a lovely, lazy start to the day this morning as after I'd waved Sophie off, I curled up on the sofa with Monty and watched some recorded programmes with a cup of coffee.

Keith came down blearily at 8.30am so at least he'd had a lie-in! We didn't have any real plans for today as Keith had a GP appointment at 11.30am so we couldn't do a lot. I tackled the kitchen and gave the fridge and cupboards a good clean and clearout, throwing away a lot of out-of date packages and tins while I was at it. I made sure I washed them out and put the empty jars into the recycling!

Keith washed some of the glasses we have on the top of our cupboards and then took Mike to the station as he's going to stay with Abbie in London until Sunday. I went and had a lovely bath and then lounged about in my dressing gown until Sophie came home.

Tonight, we had decided to go out for a meal and we'd booked a table at The Saracen's Head in Little Brington so as soon as Sophie was back, we all got ready and headed out. First up was a drink at The Althorp Coaching Inn which really must be one of my favourite pubs. It's so cosy, dimly-lit and quiet and has a lovely olde worlde atmosphere. There were candles everywhere and it was so pretty. We sat near the fire and said hello to an inquisitive dog who was at the next table with his owners.

We enjoyed a drink and had a good chat before driving the short distance to Little Brington. I used to deliver here when I worked for Majestic so it was great to return as a customer! There was also a good atmosphere here, with some people congregated around the bar with their dogs. We ordered drinks at the bar and were then shown to our table in what looked like an old library. There was another couple eating so it was lovely and quiet, but we noticed a table set for ten opposite.



We were given menus and for a change I decided to have the Guinea Fowl. We chose the bread and olives to start while keith went for the pork belly (my second choice) and Sophie opted for the lentil and sweet potato dahl.

The breads were delicious and as we were all hungry we hoovered everything up rather quickly! We still had plenty of room for our main courses, though, and the food was absolutely delicious.


My Guinea Fowl was served with a fondant potato, red cabbage and crispy black pudding bon bons while Keith's pork belly looked lovely and the meat came with layered Chorizo Dauphinoise potatoes, a long crispy piece if crackling and curly kale. Sophie's curry was also delicious and she was stuffed when she finished! However, we couldn't resist puddings of plum and blackberry crumble and creme brulee. It was a truly lovely meal.

While we were eating the table opposite arrived and I think it was a birthday meal - they were all women and the quiet atmosphere soon disappeared, but it was a really enjoyable evening and one I will remember for a long time!

We made our way home in the rain and collapsed on the sofa before bed!

No comments: